Battlefield Tour - organisation and funding

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by CrazyLegs!, Feb 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a DIN or other policy document W.R.T. the funding for a Battlefield Visit?

I have a LF Policy statement from 2006 for Battlefield Tours that states that all Battlefield Tour funding should be at public expense, but post SDSR I want something a little more recent and set-in-stone. I also need the appropriate MOD Form or similar for requesting the funding.

The visit in question is to the Fort at Eben Emael, Maastricht - anyone been and what are their opinions?

Many thanks for your help
  2. AGAI Vol 1 Chapter 23 Battlefield Studies Policy

There is also an article by Stuart Brown in The Battle Guide, the journal of the Guild of Battlefield Guides International

BATTLE guide Ed 6, Nov 2009

It isn't that recent, but he gave an update at the GBG conference on guilding military groups on 5th February this year. Money is tighter, but the principles are the same.

Or send me a PM and we will try to help.
  3. Please accept this as some well overdue thanks, as I was posted before my last effort came to fruition, and now at my new place I have once again been dicked with sorting something out ;)
  4. If you need advice on organising a cracking battlefield tour, then try to find out who organised the QDG Waterloo Dinner on the battlefield and get advice from him.
    I believe it was about 1995 (correct me if I´m wrong)

Attached to the unit about two weeks prior to the event and participated fully without having to pay anything other than normal mess bills.
    Didn´t make it to the "survivors" photo that year.
    Mind you I didn´t make it to the "survivors" photo on the other Waterloo Dinners during the time I served with them.

"All REME are baastaards
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Serves you right for doing a good job first time round!
    Or were you crap and need more practice?
  6. Somewhere in the middle I reckon!