Battlefield spirits?

I don't know if this has been covered before, if so my apologies.

I was one of those unfortunates caught out in the fligh disruptions, last week, and found myself travelling, from Alicante, back to the UK by bus.

After a 24 hour trip to Paris and a 12 hour stopover, I eventually boarded another bus, at 22:00, for the trip to Calais fery port.

at about midnight I was looking out the window at the French scenery, (lights in the bus were out and there was a near full moon), when I saw a sign which said "LA SOMME", and shortly afterwards we were crossing the river itself.

It was probably purely in my mind, but seeing the river, and the area around it, I felt a strange sensation down my back and could almost visualise thousands of lost Tommies standing to and watching us pass by.

I have heard stories of ghostly goings on, in what were areas of conflict and just wondered if anybody else had experienced anything similar?

Some stupid Scotch git strangling a cat in the desert, put the shite up me once,

I thought that battlefield spirits meant the apfelkorn we used to carry in our bergens in Germany!

Seriously I wanted to look over the Chemin de Dames WW1 battlefield many years ago and came at night fall to trudge up the ridge looking for a place to doss. I came upon the ruins of the village of Craonne which had been an intense focus of combat, the modern village was rebuilt at a distance, and they have let trees grow there now.
"Balls" I thought "nobody is watching and its a nice night I'll just sling my dossbag down by this wall, after all it's a nice summer's night."

There was no way I was going to get to sleep there, I could almost feel the turbulence around me, the atmosphere disturbed. I lasted about fifteen minutes before legging it onto to the nearest light and begging permission to kip in his garden where I spent the night with my maggot cravenly pulled over my head.

There will be urine-extractors but I bet you find that there are quite a few people who have had similar experiences, we just don't shout it out because of the neanderthals.

I've also felt a "strange sensation" down my back whilst in a former battlefield, it was in Oman during Ex Saif Sareer.

It happend at the CSE Show, during Geri Haliwell's performance on stage I fell into the open trench that was used as latrines due to the fact I was pissed as a newt!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Military History and Militaria 13
E Officers 13
Ventress Classified Ads 7