Battlefield spirits?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tankiebootneckdad, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if this has been covered before, if so my apologies.

I was one of those unfortunates caught out in the fligh disruptions, last week, and found myself travelling, from Alicante, back to the UK by bus.

After a 24 hour trip to Paris and a 12 hour stopover, I eventually boarded another bus, at 22:00, for the trip to Calais fery port.

at about midnight I was looking out the window at the French scenery, (lights in the bus were out and there was a near full moon), when I saw a sign which said "LA SOMME", and shortly afterwards we were crossing the river itself.

It was probably purely in my mind, but seeing the river, and the area around it, I felt a strange sensation down my back and could almost visualise thousands of lost Tommies standing to and watching us pass by.

I have heard stories of ghostly goings on, in what were areas of conflict and just wondered if anybody else had experienced anything similar?
  2. Some stupid Scotch git strangling a cat in the desert, put the shite up me once,
  3. I thought that battlefield spirits meant the apfelkorn we used to carry in our bergens in Germany!

Seriously I wanted to look over the Chemin de Dames WW1 battlefield many years ago and came at night fall to trudge up the ridge looking for a place to doss. I came upon the ruins of the village of Craonne which had been an intense focus of combat, the modern village was rebuilt at a distance, and they have let trees grow there now.
    "Balls" I thought "nobody is watching and its a nice night I'll just sling my dossbag down by this wall, after all it's a nice summer's night."

There was no way I was going to get to sleep there, I could almost feel the turbulence around me, the atmosphere disturbed. I lasted about fifteen minutes before legging it onto to the nearest light and begging permission to kip in his garden where I spent the night with my maggot cravenly pulled over my head.

There will be urine-extractors but I bet you find that there are quite a few people who have had similar experiences, we just don't shout it out because of the neanderthals.
  4. I've also felt a "strange sensation" down my back whilst in a former battlefield, it was in Oman during Ex Saif Sareer.

It happend at the CSE Show, during Geri Haliwell's performance on stage I fell into the open trench that was used as latrines due to the fact I was pissed as a newt!