Battlefield robots to replace medics?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You're not comming at this from the right angle. This is the MKI prototype to installing trauma units inside the Space Cruisers.

At least that what is says on the blue prints i'm looking at.

2. The trauma pod - costs a few mill, has to be operated by a surgeon, and you have to have another surgeon stood by incase it fails. Not cheap to service or maintain either, so all in all, a waste of electrodes

3. Hmm, interesting.

Fully robotic implements, aren't a good idea though, as they can't adapt quickly enough if theres a screw up, like an artery ripping, or massive bloodloss suddenly, for instance.

Interesting, but ultimately, too expensive, and not adaptable enough - the later, is more in theory.

4. Why bother with robotic doctors, just have robotic soldiers,

5. I think this is exactly the point. I dare say it wouldn't take these boffins long to turn this machine into a weapons platform. However, it probably suits their needs to dress it up as medical / humanitarian technology so that they can continue to receive positive press and funding for the project.

(Tin hat firmly secured with chinstrap)

I

6. 39 sqn RAF are already there with Reaper