Battle to gain protection for war memorials

Hi all,
I am launching a campaign aiming to get the law changed and get protection for war memorials.

So far letters have went to local Councillors, local and national MP's/MSP's.

The paper used headlines aimed at metal theft but the campaign is aimed at more than that, I think they used that headline because its a current issue in the news and would grab more attention?

The next step is to spread the word and get backing from as many as possible. We are arranging for a group of Veterans to be interviewed locally next week and trying to gain support from veteran associations, British legion branches and locally the Scottish branch of the legion.

Our aim is to get parliament to debate the issue and get the law/legislation changed to treat desecration of memorials as a crime its self, whether that be by vandalism, theft or damage ect.

Im sure everyone would like to see a punishment that fits the crime as is rightly reflected in public disgust, anger and opinion rather than these people just being charged with theft or criminal damage and serve a petty punishment.

If Arrse, or anyone on here can help support this or knows of any groups ect that would help support this please get in touch through PM.

(appoligies if this is in the wrong section of the forum, please move to relevant section if required)

Thanks

Last edited:
Why does every ****** think that facefuck or twatter are good mediums for this.

We do not need more laws.

So we need more laws to protect war memorials on top of laws that already protect law memorials?

Can you see why people think you're a bit of a ****?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hi all,
I am launching a campaign aiming to get the law changed to get protection for war memorials.

So far letters have went to local Councillors, local and national MP's/MSP's and the media. The campaign has gained backing from a few Councilors and MSP's and have just got a story into the local paper.
Veteran wins allies in battle against metal thieves - Scotland / News / The Courier

The paper used headlines aimed at metal theft but the campaign is aimed at more than that, I think they used that headline because its a current issue in the news and would grab more attention?

The next step is to spread the word and get backing from as many as possible. We are arranging for a group of Veterans to be interviewed locally next week and trying to gain support from veteran associations, British legion branches and locally the Scottish branch of the legion.

Our aim is to get parliament to debate the issue and get the law/legislation changed to treat desecration of memorials as a crime its self, whether that be by vandalism, theft or damage ect.

Im sure everyone would like to see a punishment that fits the crime as is rightly reflected in public disgust, anger and opinion rather than these people just being charged with theft or criminal damage and serve a petty punishment.

Theres a facebook page and a group. both called "Justice for the community and war veterans" to get things started.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-the-community-and-war-veterans/521896517875508

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Just...ans/521896517875508#!/groups/550104938383478/

If your on pussjotter and think this is a good idea please have a look and like/share the page to spread the word.

Also set up a twitter account (never used twitter so not quite got the hang of it yet!) https://twitter.com/Reido80

If Arrse, or anyone on here can help support this or knows of any groups ect that would help support this please get in touch through PM.

(appoligies if this is in the wrong section of the forum, please move to relevant section if required)

Thanks
I'm doing a big pan of beef stew. I've made a picture just for you. Cock.
ImageUploadedByARRSE1376764884.712626.jpg

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

"you are" my dear boy, you are :)

Agree with dingerr though, laws already exist they just need enforcing. Or perhaps you're thinking of a new law that allows for the scum to be lawfully beaten and skull cracked on the steps of the memorial they're desecrating, like the one that allows for a Scotsman to be killed with a bow if found in the grounds of York castle... or is it a Welshman? whichever :)

Sent via Tapatalk HD

I agree we dont need laws for the sake of having more laws but sentencing in the case of war memorials does not act as a deterrent or reflect public anger, there are plenty of posts on this site and elsewhere that reflect that.
Look at the case in Burton upon trent where the accused was found guilty but walked away free. If desecration of a memorial was a crime with its own minimum sentence the outcome could have been very different.
I'd rather a memorial was vandalised than a hospital.

oldbaldy

LE
Hi all,
I am launching a campaign aiming to get the law changed to get protection for war memorials.

I agree we dont need laws for the sake of having more laws but sentencing in the case of war memorials does not act as a deterrent or reflect public anger, there are plenty of posts on this site and elsewhere that reflect that.
So which do you want, a special law to protect War Memorials or sentencing guidelines changed?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
So we need more laws to protect war memorials on top of laws that already protect law memorials

Look at the case in Burton upon trent where the accused was found guilty but walked away free. If desecration of a memorial was a crime with its own minimum sentence the outcome could have been very different.

The magistrate or judge will I'm sure have sentencing guidelines.
Kids used to skateboard on our war memorial but as they were damaging the stone the council put metal railings around.
The kids likely have no idea what the memorial is should we give these very young teenagers ten years? Perhaps building a skate park is more proactive.

does not act as a deterrent or reflect public anger
I see numerous memorials, all pristine. I feel in general, the law protects war memorials.
Regardless of any change in law, this will not stop metal theft, thieves risk their lives digging up cable on the railways to flog, so the threat of a harsher sentence isn't going to phase them, especially in rural communities where you could set about demolishing a small villiage memorial and the Police wouldn't be able to get to you in time.

Legislation already exists to deal with vandalism under the Criminal Damage Act, however its up to the Judge/Magistrate's legal advisor to consider whether the fact its a war memorial counts as an aggravating factor. At the moment, the current sentenceing guidelines don't make any reference to it (unless you can class it as a civil/public amenity?).

Personally I don't feel outrage is the best motivation for changing legislation. A calm, measured approach to deal with an established, widespread problem should be the best way to come up with a solution.

Hi all,

So far letters have went to local C.....

<Cuntjabber snipped>
I am launching a campaign aiming to get funding for scientific research to discover a place beyond the bounds of the current known universe. So you can **** off to it.

Christ, bloke wants a few signatures about a campaign to in some way aid the protection of war memorials and encounters more flak than a friggin' Heinkel.

ARRSE is so unpredictable, it's what keeps me coming back to her like a doormat boyfriend.

Come on this isn't the cookery thread, bouillon granules has a place and I didn't want to use mushrooms.
I'm afraid J that in creating a creative cock-head picture for our amusement you have revealed yourself to be the producer of woeful beef stew- are the boilies and cheese possessed just out of shot?

I seem to vaguely remember some show where some agent type fellow is picking up his number 7 @ the local and tells the Chinese cook "No MSG" as he's starting the shake it on... shortly after, said agent type fellow is falling off the curb, flat on his face, truck tyre running over his head destroying any evidence of the deadly MSG's work.... wish I could remember the name of that one... would like to see it again... but I can't evem remember anything else about it.

Make a nice mushroom soup and sieve it before adding cream. Freeze the residue from the sieve in an ice cube container (looks a bit like blocks of Lebanese Black). Throw into stews, gravies and sauces as required.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm afraid J that in creating a creative cock-head picture for our amusement you have revealed yourself to be the producer of woeful beef stew- are the boilies and cheese possessed just out of shot?
I'll survive its getting Chorizo and chilli chucked in tonight. Yes I do have a large supply of tinned cheese.