Battle over school Army ban hots up

Dreghorn Barracks hosted a series of excellent information/recruitment days for school children last week. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Now leftie pinkos have to knock the forces again. :x :x :x

I'm disgusted and as I live in Edinburgh, ashamed.

Edinburgh council is to consider banning the armed forces from speaking in schools and colleges.

The idea has won backing in the City Chambers after being raised by Green councillor and university lecturer Maggie Chapman. She wants to put a stop to the "aggressive recruiting" of impressionable teenagers. It follows a similar proposal being passed by EIS, Scotland's largest teachers' union.

The motion has attracted an angry response from the MoD and supporters of the military, who described it as "absurd".

Councillor Chapman, who represents Leith Walk, said: "We oppose aggressively recruiting children who are perhaps at quite a vulnerable stage in their lives. It's not appropriate to go into schools and colleges and tell children that it's a great career and a great opportunity to see the world, especially if there's not a lot of information available about what it's like to work in somewhere like Iraq.

"Our concern is that armed forces recruitment may be targeting schools in more deprived areas where children, arguably, are not going to have as many career options available.."

The Army says it does not recruit in schools - youngsters have to be 17½ to join up, and 18 to take a tour of duty - but goes in simply to give information.

Major Iain Dalzel Job, president of the Scots Guards Association Club at Haymarket, accused the Greens of trying to cut young people's career options. "We don't actually recruit, we go in and tell the boys and girls what the Army could do for them and what they could do for the Army," he said. "We are pretty clear about what we do and what warfare is about. These people don't believe in what the Army is trying to do."

David McLetchie, Edinburgh Pentlands MSP and former Scottish Tory leader, called the motion "absurd". He said: "A career in the armed forces is a perfectly honourable profession for a young person to follow."

An MoD spokeswoman said: "The police, construction, oil industry, even the NHS and bus driving can be potentially hazardous. Are they all going to get banned from talking to schools?"

Cllr Chapman says she has support among some Labour and Lib Dem members, as well as her Green colleagues, ahead of next Thursday's debate. However, senior councillors from the SNP, Lib Dems and Tories all indicated they would oppose the move, with only Labour giving consideration.

Councillor Andrew Burns, the Labour education spokesman, said: "I am aware that such a motion to prevent armed forces 'recruitment campaigns' in schools received the overwhelming support of the EIS and I am willing to positively consider whether such a ban can be supported locally."
Edinburgh Evening News

Write in, let her know. If she was in my council I would...

It should be made compulsory for the military to be able to visit schools,colleges , and uni for people to be made aware about our armed forces ,Also this country should make it compulsory for everyone over the age of 17 to do two years national service regardless of there culture or nationality if they want to be a British citizen .

My father did national service and then decided to stay in the regular army so our armed forces must of done something to encourage people to stay in the armed forces .

Definatly a man hating Lesbian!

But seriously i am in recruiting and the comments being made are nothing short of absurd!

Yes we go to schools but we dont recruit from schools we merely provide a career presentation spanning all aspects of the Army long gone are the days of "Frank" and just telling people the Army is a paid holiday!

The presentations are fully informative and cover all aspects of a possible career in the Army including what life is like on operations! We invite Staff and parents to sit in on the presentations and all are invited to ask questions.

The presentations we give are all voluntary we dont force anyone to come along.

The only other interaction we have with the students is team building command tasks, Sure they have a military spin on them but they are not designed to get students into the Army they are designed to teach fundamental skills of life! - Problem solving, Leader ship, team work all key skills not just in the Army but all aspects of life.

So, crazy jock MP **** off somewhere else and burn your Bra we dont care what u think!

goldeneagle2 said:
It should be made compulsory for the military to be able to visit schools,colleges , and uni for people to be made aware about our armed forces ,Also this country should make it compulsory for everyone over the age of 17 to do two years national service regardless of there culture or nationality if they want to be a British citizen .

My father did national service and then decided to stay in the regular army so our armed forces must of done something to encourage people to stay in the armed forces .
I am afraid to say that I do not agree with the sentiment that it should be made compulsory for the military to be able to visit schools and colleges.

Instead, it should be compulsory for them to visit whether they want to or not, rather than just have the option to should they wish to.

Young people need to know far more about what it is to be part of this country, and what makes it up - and what we all need to do to be a proper, involved, and effective part of the nation.

The relevant word is... ...citizenship.

Please don't blame all schools for the sort of nonsense that is going on in the northerly regions of these islands. The vast majority of us are all too keen to get as much help as we can, and to open youngsters eyes to all the possibilities and options that could affect their future lives and careers.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
NO! You said she.

how long before the armed forces follow the police's idea and become the british armed services, after all, 'force' is such a mean word and people might get offended if it was used in general conversation.

The term soldier might be deemed too aggressive, and could be associated with SS troops, so we would be come 'anti-terrorist agents', 'border protection agents' etc dependant on role.

then again, terrorist will probably become PC inoperable, because it contains the word terror, and lefties might get scared....

when will it end. and who is the individual responsible for kick starting this PC regime....lynching time

macagain said:
This is what she looks like:

Eww... you guys familiar with the term "coyote ugly?"

quite simply obviously she is a lesbian trotting yoghurt knitting do gooding Bible bashing haggis bashing whore (aledgealy)

IBRU said:
Definatly a man hating Lesbian!

But seriously i am in recruiting and the comments being made are nothing short of absurd!

Yes we go to schools but we dont recruit from schools we merely provide a career presentation spanning all aspects of the Army long gone are the days of "Frank" and just telling people the Army is a paid holiday!

The presentations are fully informative and cover all aspects of a possible career in the Army including what life is like on operations! We invite Staff and parents to sit in on the presentations and all are invited to ask questions.

The presentations we give are all voluntary we dont force anyone to come along.

The only other interaction we have with the students is team building command tasks, Sure they have a military spin on them but they are not designed to get students into the Army they are designed to teach fundamental skills of life! - Problem solving, Leader ship, team work all key skills not just in the Army but all aspects of life.

So, crazy jock MP * off somewhere else and burn your Bra we dont care what u think!
Spot on there I did a stint in Recruiting and we are under strict guidelines from ASR Bovington on the way we approach schools and colleges. We never poach candidates and try and encourage them to complete the course there on (better educated soldier).
I had no problems from any of the schools and colleges we went to for presentations and they were always getting RRT's in for activities as there free and would cost thousands of pounds for civvy companies to come in and do the same Team activities. This was a great way of the school getting a free Enterprise lesson for Citizanship and give them extra pennies to spend elsewhere in the school. No one is press ganged so whats the problem. Keep up the good work.