Battle of Waterloo

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Took place on 18th June 1815.

And we won!

Leaving Europe free from the tyrannical federalising rule of an unelected despot.

Happy Anniversary. Perhaps today should be the new national holiday, showing us what Britishness WAS all about.

2. Yes, and it was an Irishman (despite his denials) who sent the tyrant packing! After last week's two fingers to the Lisbon Treaty by voters in the Emerald Isle, is it too much to hope that history can repeat itself? 'Fraid so. Tomorrow, the President of the European Parliament, Hans-Gert Pöttering (less the umlaut, a good name for a Euro-waster), will "defend the principles" of this unloved document in, of course, Brussels, the now-grim city where the famous ball was perhaps the last demonstration of real style. In his determination to see it ratified, this earnest Prussian (rest uneasy, Blucher) seems to show as much disdain for democracy as old Boney himself, with no second Waterloo in sight. And 'Britishness' today? Wellington's spinning must be undermining St Paul's.

3. French forces under the leadership of Joan of Arc crush the main English army under Sir John Fastolf at the Battle of Patay. This turns the tide of the Hundred Years' War.

Can't win em all, even vs the French

4. yessssss....but we later defeated her armies captured her and burnt her as a witch so yes we can win them all and as a matter of fact the hundred years war was a stalmate although actually an English victory particularly because of battles such as Agincourt, Crecy and numerous others which saw us turn the majority of the French nobility in to pin cushions before smashing there faces in with their own weapons. (I refer you to my post on Long bows Vs guns, I would link but cant be bothered, search for it has been covered extensively there). 8)

5. Only 'coz we wouldn't hit a woman :p

6. yes we did...then burnt her alive. It's what a civilised a gentlemanly fellow would do :twisted:

7. True, but on that occasion we were fighting, not just the French, but also le bon Dieu. Even the English can be excused such a defeat! :D

8. Back to Waterloo, I think we were in fact bailed out by some sausage eating squareheads known as the Prussians. Multinational ops, contrary to popular belief, are not new. Funny that a mere generation later we were fighting with the French against the Russians.

I wonder if we will be forming up with Terry Taliban against the Chinese in 50 years?!?!

9. the prussians were late and divided from us (from what I have read were cracking soldiers though). We were also on the receiving end of Napoleons main force including a substantial number of cavalry and his Imperial guard who I am led to believe were very nasty chaps...but we slaughtered them anyway :D

10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Complete and utter balls.

The Plantagenets were kicked out of the continent, all England's French possessions (except Calais) were lost and the Houes of Valois were confirmed as the French royal house. English monarchs also dropped all claim to the French throne.

Strange victories you English have, eh?

11. "You English" god forbid a Frenchy is here...the shame of it. Yes we lost our French territories but common sense dictates that they were more trouble than they were worth. Any way decimating the French nobility in many MANY battles is victory enough particularly because the foolish aristocrats were slaughtered by a bunch of "peasants" with bows (a truely formiddable weapon) whilst your chaps were lumbering around in too much armour only to get knocked down and massacred. (I laugh heartily)

12. Sixty

So you achieved none of your war aims at all and this was a victory? Odd. Insisting that 'they weren't worth the trouble anyway' is the reasoning of an adolescent.

Oh, and I'm not French.

13. sixty: Thats not my point nor is it what I said. I am stating that although we lost those territories it did not cripple us (the trouble I refered to was constant war with France which was as I am sure you know very expensive)

OK then if your not a Frog then I will presume your an American (who loves the Idea of anyone "defeating England", most likely from the South which could also explain you connection with France) or I could still be completely wrong and ask you to reveal your nationality.

14. But surely you are forgetting the overriding rule an aim of war which is to kill and destroy your enemy and we most certainly did that particularly the ruling class which also created disharmony in France that continued for centuries after due to the contest for land and power between nobles (another bonus for England)

15. Sixty

No, old chap. I'm from that strange race of skirt wearing, porridge eating folk from north of the border (although we were on the side of the French for most of that period)

And it did virtually cripple you. The war and the conflict later known as The War of the Roses left the English crown almost bankrupt as you have alluded to.