Battle of Waterloo

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tremaine, Dec 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched this tonight , 1970 film with 25 million dollar budget to depict 23,000 British troops with 44,000 allied troops and 160 guns against 74,000 French troops and 250 guns.
    Having lost against the Russians which probably started his downfall, and escaped from Elba, Boney siezes power, takes up the French Empire and returns war against opposing coalitions: Anglo Allied and Prussians. Boney ultimately loses to the allies at Waterloo.
    The Imperial French Army and French power in Europe is dissolved. The Germans become nationalistic, and the German and British Empires (and the industrial revolution) begin. Bit simplistic but let's say concise ;) The Coalition Wars are well documented.

There must be several on here associated with those forty odd units of the British Army.

A subject for discussion if only for the close shave, and the Prussians saving the day while Wellington faced defeat (incoming expected). Boney was certainly an able General and powerful figure, as illustrated by the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars.

A few things from the film, there are inaccuracies , agreed, but in the film an umbrella can be seen in the British lines. And apparently Wellington did order umbrellas banned.

The offer to accept the French surrender (in the film) but answered with "merde" before the remnants of Boney's army are blown away may or may not have happened.

But the ground on the morning of the battle is recorded as soft, so Napoleon waits til noon. Were the ground conditions that day, significant to the outcome? Granted ,there are several reasons for the coalition's victory.

In a nutshell, who was the best General and tactician, Bonaparte or Wellington? And why.

What would have happened do you think if France had won this battle?

2. Who cares about fact - that is one of the best films ever made and easily equal to 9 1/2 Weeks - another of my favourite films

• Like Like x 2
  3. Great film yes, better than most of the Christmas telly fare. Kim Basinger however was much better in LA Confidential.

4. Is that the film with Rod Steiger as Napolean? If it is, the scene with the charge of the "Scots Greys" is unforgetable.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I watched this film tonight. Great entertainment for anyone interested in the battle of Waterloo.

6. Well Wellington chased Napoleons brother off the throne off Spain.
    The film had the bonus of the real Gordon Highanders on screen.

National Army Museum, London
    At the centre of the gallery is a 40 square metre model of the Battle of Waterloo (1815) with over 70,000 model soldiers brought to life with specially commissioned films that explore the conflict, the soldiers who fought it and the controversy surrounding the model’s construction.

7. That's the one sir. Magnificent with the Scots Greys, even.

8. I love this film the sheer scale of it is amazing according to wiki 15,000 foot and 2,000 cavalry were used. They dont make em like that any more

9. I do remember when the film made its debut in Oz (I was still wearing shorts to school) that there was a bit of hue & cry over the report that horses were actually killed during the making of the film - either intentionally or by mistake, not too sure. I just remember my nan telling me as I was off to the matinee to see it. Urban myth?

10. Sharpe managed the same battle with a cast of 12 - didn't manage the same overall effect though

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sharpe was limited by budget and the fact it came across as pish

12. When you read the books which do convey the scale of the battles involved you wonder how Cornwell could put his name to such shite

• Like Like x 1
  13. There might have been over ten thousand horses killed or maimed in 1815, ten under Napoleon. See Horsey sites .
    Not sure about the film, although in the early days of film horses were routinely shot before the advent of those necessary Humane Societies.

14. No Red army = Redcoat army or Crapuads onscreen.
    Blink and you miss him Percy Herbert as a old guardsman.

15. Order of Battle is here according to britishbattles.com The Battle of Waterloo Allied order of battle

"Bejaysus Boys I've got the Cuckoo" French Imperial Eagle. So who else wears a version of that (captured) Eagle apart from the Irish.