Battle of Peleliu 1944 by Jim Moran

ARRSE Rating
4.00 star(s)
An Images of War book

While coming under the Images of War series, this book is so much more than the formulaic captioned photographs with a little bit of background. This book brings quite a detailed history of the Battle both before, during and some after.

The animosity between the two senior commanders is discussed. The fact that the landing force commander broke an ankle a week before the landing, and did not tell his Boss, tells much about their relationship.

Peleliu2.jpg
The photographs, as ever and very high quality and plentiful. This is probably the thickest IoW book I have come across. If there is one thing that the United States did well was to photograph their soldiers in action, especially in the Pacific Theatre. There are several maps included to give some context to the story and the book ends with a chronology of the Battle but then there are a series of colour painting done by a War Artist. Tom Lea, who went in with the assault troops. This does not end the book though as there is a section on the men who received the Medal of Honor and finally a series of leaflets, propaganda, used by both Japanese and Americans both inviting the other side to surrender and be treated well! In fact there is so much in this book that I am surprised that it is in the IofW series and not a stand alone book in its own right.

The book starts off showing smiling troops waiting to go in to action ending with grim faced survivors who have been through hell. One photograph is a group one of a Marine infantry company that went in to action with 235 men and only could muster 94 for the final photograph.

This was a bloody and hard-fought battle, fairly early in the island-hopping campaign. As the US found, the Japanese were not inclined to surrender but to fight to the death, literally. The sub-title of the book is “Three days that turned into three months” – an indication of the horror of this Battle.

The is a cracking book, coving an intense battle with many casualties on both sides. The photographs capture some of the horror and loss and leads one to understand the tactics the US used in future landings.

4/5 Mr MRHs for a well produced book.

Amazon product

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
That's a great series of books. I got the one on Iwo Jima and it has some superb shots. I can't tear it out of my son's hands for a re-reading.

syrup

LE
I'll be looking for a copy of that

Not sure if this is in it but I put it in the pictures that make you think thread a few months ago.

"The Exhausted Marine"

Marine PFC Frank Pomeroy sits with two bullets in his right leg and a bayonet wound to his left leg.
He was dragged into the sitting position by two fellow Marines while the flagged down a Sherman tank to evacuate him to the rear.
Pomeroy who joined the Marines straight from school had already survived his troopship being sunk of Guadalcanal and the subsequent battle for the Island had taken part in the initial landings and fighting on Peleliu.
A combat photographer snapped the picture as he rested his head in his hands and the picture became famous as the exhausted Marine

Frank Pomeroy was a Military consultant on HBO's Pacific and died aged 87

Exhausted_Marine_weeping_atop_of_Hill_200.jpg

I'll be looking for a copy of that

Not sure if this is in it but I put it in the pictures that make you think thread a few months ago.

"The Exhausted Marine"

Marine PFC Frank Pomeroy sits with two bullets in his right leg and a bayonet wound to his left leg.
He was dragged into the sitting position by two fellow Marines while the flagged down a Sherman tank to evacuate him to the rear.
Pomeroy who joined the Marines straight from school had already survived his troopship being sunk of Guadalcanal and the subsequent battle for the Island had taken part in the initial landings and fighting on Peleliu.
A combat photographer snapped the picture as he rested his head in his hands and the picture became famous as the exhausted Marine

Frank Pomeroy was a Military consultant on HBO's Pacific and died aged 87

Exhausted_Marine_weeping_atop_of_Hill_200.jpg
B.A.R. man or his assistant

At Guadalcanal he was on a 37mm A/T gun firing Canister into the Japanese at the Tenaru