Battle of Long Tan - film due out

Good god man, you mean to say you don't know where your towel is??!!
I'm afraid I used my floppy bush hat for wiping away sweat, but then I served around arid Israel, not tropical 'Nam.
No way would I have schlepped an IDF (which were whitish rather than Olive) or any towel on an op. The synthetic microfibre towels of today however are ideal since they fold up compact, weigh next to nothing and dry off super fast.

Towel for the humidity.

Most unnecessay accoutrements were dropped on contact.

Body armor was the ceramic plate anri-fragmentation vest.

The pouches had nylon flaps secured with a snap that were shaped like the grenade so it wrapped around the entire grenade, spoon and all. I never let my guys carry grenades merely by hooking the spoon in a convenient buckle or slot. Too dangerous.
Ceramic plate armour - may I ask when this was? We only received the then new lightweight IDF flak vests around 1981 and didn't wear them when fighting on foot. I still remember some rupert, as we dismounted from APC's to advance against positions held by Syrian commandos, shouting at people to take flak vests off as how could we fight properly with them (this was in June 1982).
It was in the nineties on reserve service when I saw IDF ceramic armour for the first time. Appalled at the weight I made the decision then to take the risk but save my back from utter ruin. I'm not sorry but then it was reserve service - you go for a month and then back to daily life in civvie street.

On the front of the left shoulder strap of the issue IDF vest there were two sewed-on patches of webbing into which a grenade lever fitted perfectly. Only used it when contact was imminent though, otherwise I agree with you, too dangerous. I don't know if that is what the patches were designed for.

Ceramic plate armour - may I ask when this was? We only received the then new lightweight IDF flak vests around 1981 and didn't wear them when fighting on foot. I still remember some rupert, as we dismounted from APC's to advance against positions held by Syrian commandos, shouting at people to take flak vests off as how could we fight properly with them (this was in June 1982).
It was in the nineties on reserve service when I saw IDF ceramic armour for the first time. Appalled at the weight I made the decision then to take the risk but save my back from utter ruin. I'm not sorry but then it was reserve service - you go for a month and then back to daily life in civvie street.

On the front of the left shoulder strap of the issue IDF vest there were two sewed-on patches of webbing into which a grenade lever fitted perfectly. Only used it when contact was imminent though, otherwise I agree with you, too dangerous. I don't know if that is what the patches were designed for.
We used the ceramic vests from mid-60s through mid 70s as I recall.
m55_2-1-480x586.jpg

we had US M69 frag vests like this, which contain layers of ballistic nylon. They were replaced with lightweight IDF vests that contain woven Kevlar.

Attachments

We used the ceramic vests from mid-60s through mid 70s as I recall.View attachment 409925
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a USMC M1955 vest? The armor filling would have been DORON rather than ceramic.
"The vests used by the U.S. Marines (Vest, Armored M-1955) weighed more than ten pounds and were a combination of ballistic nylon layers and fiberglass plates known as Doron.[3] Doron was made of fiberglass fibers placed in an ethyl cellulose resin under high pressure."

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a USMC M1955 vest? The armor filling would have been DORON rather than ceramic.
"The vests used by the U.S. Marines (Vest, Armored M-1955) weighed more than ten pounds and were a combination of ballistic nylon layers and fiberglass plates known as Doron.[3] Doron was made of fiberglass fibers placed in an ethyl cellulose resin under high pressure."
The ones we had were ceramic as best I can recall. I grabbed the pic quickly as it looks lkke what we had.

I'm afraid I used my floppy bush hat for wiping away sweat, but then I served around arid Israel, not tropical 'Nam.
No way would I have schlepped an IDF (which were whitish rather than Olive) or any towel on an op. The synthetic microfibre towels of today however are ideal since they fold up compact, weigh next to nothing and dry off super fast.
;) The answer your after is 42.

What make or model Flak Jackets did we wear in Op Banner, during the mid 70s then?
Lots and lots.
I think the MOD just bought a load of Yank ones at the start,until we could make our own. The first ones were based on the Yank vests with a few differences,Velcro instead of buttons, shoulder patches etc. They were constantly being up graded.
When I got there in 1988, INIBA jackets were pretty much universal.

Do the IDF have integrated body armour/load carriage these days?
Yep they changed the system about 2 years ago, based on the excellent Marom Dolphin rig. Teeth arms are issued it upon being drafted and keep it throughout their draft service (33 months).

all the pouches and backpack are modular. There's a kind of waist belt that helps distribute the load between shoulders and waist.

1565604361613.png

Last edited:
Lots and lots.
I think the MOD just bought a load of Yank ones at the start,until we could make our own. The first ones were based on the Yank vests with a few differences,Velcro instead of buttons, shoulder patches etc. They were constantly being up graded.
When I got there in 1988, INIBA jackets were pretty much universal.
I had two different models during my tour, first one was very old with no shoulder pads. Second had those plastic pads with the butt stops.

Latest Threads