Battle of Long Tan - film due out

And with a lot less ammunition.
Back in 1980'ish I read a book written by a Vietnam era Green Beret 18D (SF Medic). He was either shit canned for a bad attitude, or left in disgust after a couple of tour's in Vietnam, I cannot remember which. He wrote about the selection and training he underwent, deployment to Vietnam and gave detailed descriptions of a couple of SF mission's/patrol's. According to him when they went out it was in combats that had been left out to weather, not washed with detergent leaving behind the sweet perfumed scent. They did not cook (no fire and no smoking rule), they went to the extent of taking out meals which they pre-prepared themselve's and then ate cold, mainly consisting of boiled rice, local fruit, fish or goat meat so that even the scent of their food blended to local smell's. Then when they moved it would be very slowly and very quietly, in bad jungle moving only a few hundred yards in a day. He even told of moving into their evening location only to have a VC patrol set up camp within bullet distance.

With all that sneaking around, why the fcuk would you want to give away a position with a firepower demo? I think it was probably a practice which came about from conscripts wanting to make sure they got home safely so they patrolled with lead rather than with eye's and ear's.

It was also a technique that I read had been taken to Rhodesia by some US servicemen who landed there during the trouble.

No idea about today - one guy in the Falklands was seen with 18 mags.... where the f*** he put him, given 58 pattern webbing, I have no idea!

I don't know where it that fits I to wider marksmanship training etc.... But that test sounds a bit on the basic side.

Still if the article is anything to go by a vast improvement over the previous which had no firing from standing or at 300m :oops:
I am sure...
Except I don’t think you have a quad exposure. Or a test that does not give out rigid instruction.

itchy300

Old-Salt
I am sure...
Except I don’t think you have a quad exposure. Or a test that does not give out rigid instruction.
Not sure what a quad exposure is, 4 targets simultaneously with say 8 seconds to fire?

Yes the shooting test is rigid on the shooting positions but it's followed immediately by the IBSR shoot which you choose positions around obstacles.

I don't know how it fits into the rest of the marksmanship training or even the doctrinal use of the rifle but on Initial look it seemed quite straight forward

Not sure what a quad exposure is, 4 targets simultaneously with say 8 seconds to fire?

Yes the shooting test is rigid on the shooting positions but it's followed immediately by the IBSR shoot which you choose positions around obstacles.

I don't know how it fits into the rest of the marksmanship training or even the doctrinal use of the rifle but on Initial look it seemed quite straight forward
Yes 4 targets exposed at the same time, no clue what the time standards are for engagement. The idea is to make the GI’s think for themselves and not train to a predictable standard. The 25 meter alternate was to easy to abuse, so I can see why the Army is trying to do away with it.

itchy300

Old-Salt
Yes 4 targets exposed at the same time, no clue what the time standards are for engagement. The idea is to make the GI’s think for themselves and not train to a predictable standard. The 25 meter alternate was to easy to abuse, so I can see why the Army is trying to do away with it.
That makes more sense that what I had in my mind haha. In fairness that could be challenging.

How does the shorter barrel on the m4 do at 300+? When we inevitably change the SA80 for them I'm hoping for a full length barrel (for light infantry)

That makes more sense that what I had in my mind haha. In fairness that could be challenging.

How does the shorter barrel on the m4 do at 300+? When we inevitably change the SA80 for them I'm hoping for a full length barrel (for light infantry)
Not to bad honestly. Still fairly accurate, and much of it really depends on the user. But the carbine is much easier to lug around then the rifle, and a bit more practical for most grunts. Besides if you really want a long range platform the squad/section needs a DMR chambered in 7.62 NATO.

Besides if you really want a long range platform the squad/section needs a DMR chambered in 7.62 NATO.
Don't they have the M14 for just that reason? And a Designated Marksman would be someone who is not quite up to Sniper standard but who is nonetheless the best shot in his Section (US Squad)?

In our long distance recce patrols we typically used an "ass pack" attached to our H harness that had a change of underwear and socks etc., together with a poncho and liner rolled up on top of pack. Water was always an issue as we did not have any hi-cap water containers. Ammo pouches in front with grenades on sides of pouches and grenades on H harness and at least one bandolier of M16 mags and body armor over a tshirt.. Food was C ratio cans in a pair of socks hung round the neck or when we could liberate them off the Army, their LRRP rations in thigh pouches And always a towel!
Why always a towel (sorry for the delay, only just read this thread)?
Are you serious about cans of food hung around the neck? Did you ever get into a contact while adorned with such accoutrements?
By body armor do you mean the flak jackets against frag?
Grenades on sides of pouches - you mean with their lever hooked on the i nside of the pouch?

Last edited:
Why always a towel (sorry for the delay, only just read this thread)?
Are you serious about cans of food hung around the neck? Did you ever get into a contact while adorned with such accoutrements?
By body armor do you mean the flak jackets against frag?
Grenades on sides of pouches - you mean with their lever hooked on the i nside of the pouch?
Towel for the humidity.

Most unnecessay accoutrements were dropped on contact.

Body armor was the ceramic plate anri-fragmentation vest.

The pouches had nylon flaps secured with a snap that were shaped like the grenade so it wrapped around the entire grenade, spoon and all. I never let my guys carry grenades merely by hooking the spoon in a convenient buckle or slot. Too dangerous.

Towel for the humidity.

Most unnecessay accoutrements were dropped on contact.

Body armor was the ceramic plate anri-fragmentation vest.

The pouches had nylon flaps secured with a snap that were shaped like the grenade so it wrapped around the entire grenade, spoon and all. I never let my guys carry grenades merely by hooking the spoon in a convenient buckle or slot. Too dangerous.
Hollywood has a lot to answer for militarily. How many times have we seen John Wayne and the like, festooned with grenades?

Hollywood has a lot to answer for militarily. How many times have we seen John Wayne and the like, festooned with grenades?
Exactly and sadly, without effective small unit leadership troops will actually carry grenades in that manner and friendlies will die. While I don't know for sure if it was this that killed An SAS trooper and a Green Beret in Syria recently, it certainly does still happen. While grenades are an effective bit of kit, they are also like a poisonous snake--they must be handled with respect.

Released in Australia three days ago, anyone know of a UK release date... tried google, nothing. But as I'm an old fart, my google-fu is 'suspect' to say the least!

Released in Australia three days ago, anyone know of a UK release date... tried google, nothing. But as I'm an old fart, my google-fu is 'suspect' to say the least!
There's a number of Aussie War Movies, that were released in the cinema over in Oz. But by the time we got them, they'd gone to DVD.

Latest Threads