Battle of Long Tan - film due out

This could be very interesting.

Vietnam has been a conflict that has long fascinated me.

This particular battle has been cited in Project PAYNE as a reason why Infantry don't need to carry so much kit ( but the powerpoint presentation makes little mention of the circumstances found here - torrential rain, overwhelming fire support for example) but if it holds true, it should be fascinating.

@chippymick - would be interested on your take here mate.

Bagl0ck

On ROPS
On ROPs
hate to say it but i had a great book on long tan, which is festering in the garage some where, iirc it was the kiwi gunners that saved the day

The Battle of Long Tan by Lex McAulay

Pretty sure its still in my book collection along with the Battle of Coral - when I was going through my Vietnam phase as a teen.
ISTR there's a point when they're about to be overrun when the command fix bayonets is given and the subsequent charge routs 'Charlie', or it may have been a dream :)

Shame they appear to have used MS Flight Simulator for the F4s (1:43).

Mark 'Mad Dog' Bornholt, the Aussie DS I suffered under at PCD in nineteen-hundred-and-frozen-to-death put together a really good music 'sting' for the Long Tan Coy Ops presentation. He used this live version of Red Gum's Nineteen (not this vid, which is a tad sucky).

Sort of thing that gave sensitive young Pl Comds nightmares. :)

Having served with a number of Long Tan vets, I'll be very interested to see how this goes. And yes, there was a Kiwi bty involved, along with the 2 Aussie btys in what then made up 1 Aust Fd Regt, along with US 155s; all at Nui Dat. There was a critical ammo resupply by 9 Sqn RAAF, and the relief force was brought in by M113 APC, so a multi-arm, multi-service, multi-national effort, but the accolades go to D Coy, 6RAR who held their ground.

Having served with a number of Long Tan vets, I'll be very interested to see how this goes. And yes, there was a Kiwi bty involved, along with the 2 Aussie btys in what then made up 1 Aust Fd Regt, along with US 155s; all at Nui Dat. There was a critical ammo resupply by 9 Sqn RAAF, and the relief force was brought in by M113 APC, so a multi-arm, multi-service, multi-national effort, but the accolades go to D Coy, 6RAR who held their ground.
And the USAF did not frag the Aussies either! Win win for all sides!

Crazy...a modern infanteer would be carrying 7/8 mags plus bandolier/boxed ammo? So as much as one of their half sections in magazine ammo alone!
The standard load out was 7 (30) round magazines and if you had a sidearm you could add 3 magazines for 45 rounds of 9mm for the M9. I had one sadistic battery commander that wanted every section/vehicle to also have an M249 with 3 loaded 200 round boxes plus extra barrels to go with it. Whilst still lugging around the M16A2, or trying to find a place to secure the damn thing.

Quoth

War Hero
Vietnam has been a conflict that has long fascinated me.
As a yute I collected the Nam magazine collection (serialised over 19 volumes?) which gave a reasonable insight into the timeline and various facets of the war.

I was thinking a modern movie of Dien Bien Phu would be interesting - fascinating battle.

The standard load out was 7 (30) round magazines and if you had a sidearm you could add 3 magazines for 45 rounds of 9mm for the M9. I had one sadistic battery commander that wanted every section/vehicle to also have an M249 with 3 loaded 200 round boxes plus extra barrels to go with it. Whilst still lugging around the M16A2, or trying to find a place to secure the damn thing.
I read somewhere that a grunt in the 'Nam might carry up to twenty 20 rnd mags. I always carried all my ammo in Norn Iron(granted only four 30 rnd mags),but some blokes went out with only one mag. We were issued four mags for Iraq ,but some of us acquired more.

Crazy...a modern infanteer would be carrying 7/8 mags plus bandolier/boxed ammo? So as much as one of their half sections in magazine ammo alone!
Haven't read the story in a while, but I seem to recall that there was a bit of an ancils 'drought'. There were very few cleaning kits available, and I think the mags were in short supply too. So it might have been a local problem to 6RAR.

That said, 7.62 was bastard heavy to carry in any quantity compared to 5.56.

If the QM wanted you to waste it he’d have given you more!
Vince Bramley wrote about this in 'Excursion to Hell'. The MG platoon were firing the GPMG's to balance them,and were bollocked by the QM for 'wasting' ammo. He wrote that they had a number of stoppages because the guns were not properly balanced.

Latest Threads