Battle of Knightsbridge

#1
The Times reports that some Piccadilly Cowboys apparently indulged in a little war of their own when they were involved in a fight outside a Knightsbridge club. A Syrian student was injured.

C&P as registration required.

Queen's soldiers arrested over attack on tycoon's nephew
By Times Online and PA News

Five soldiers from the Household Cavalry have been arrested over an alleged attack on an Arab student in which he reportedly lost an eye, it emerged today.

The soldiers were questioned after the 23-year-old man was hit in the face with a bottle outside the Wellington Club in Knightsbridge, west London.

The men, all aged between 18 and 25, have been released on police bail and are back on duty at Knightsbridge barracks, an army spokesman said.

The incident happened at about 10pm on Friday when a fight involving ten men broke out between two groups outside the club, Scotland Yard said.

The victim was named today as Adnan Said by the London Evening Standard, which reported that he lost an eye as a result of the alleged attack.

Mr Said, who is in the Western Eye Hospital, Marylebone, London, told the newspaper: "These people acted as if it was war. I don’t know why it started. It is the last thing I thought would happen in the middle of Knightsbridge."

He added: "I was speaking Arabic. That was the only reason I think they started swearing at us. They were saying things like 'you dirty f****ing foreigner'."

Mr Said is Syrian and an engineering student at University College London. He is the nephew of Wafic Said, the Syrian-born billionaire best known as the intermediary for the $20 billion al-Yamamah arms deal between Britain and Saudi Arabia in the 1980s.

A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard said: "Police were called to reports of a fight involving about 10 men in the vicinity of the Wellington Club.

"A 23-year-old man was taken by ambulance suffering from serious head and facial injuries and subsequently transferred to a specialist eye hospital with serious eye injuries.

"Four other people were injured during the incident but not seriously. At this stage it appears a fight broke out between two groups of men and the 23-year-old was struck in the face with a glass or bottle."

A 22-year-old man was arrested and later four other men, aged 18, 21, 23 and 25, were also detained on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm, the Yard said. They have all since been bailed to return for questioning next month.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman confirmed the men were all members of the Household Cavalry and were back on duty.
Oh dear....
 
#2
This is not good.


As a Police Officer, I can see that a combination of a billionaire, an Arab student, soldiers, reports of xenophobic/racist abuse/motive and a missing eye are not good for any suspects.

I can only imagine the behind the scenes conversations that are currently taking place.
 
#4
Yes of course they were only speaking Arabic, - no other 'provocation' of any sort what so ever was provided!!

Yeah right. :?

Have to say I'm generally against the use of bottles/glasses. Horrific injuries. :(
 
#5
A forgone conclusion as to who will be found at fault. Blair won't want his mates upset.
 
#6
The point is no one on this forum was actually there (I presume). So how can any of us possibly comment?

We're in danger of doing what the press do, and pre-judging the sequence of events that led to this incident.

And when the press do that, just how much abuse do they receive in these pages?

Hint of hypocracy creeping in?
 
#7
CrapSpy said:
The point is no one on this forum was actually there (I presume). So how can any of us possibly comment?

We're in danger of doing what the press do, and pre-judging the sequence of events that led to this incident.

And when the press do that, just how much abuse do they receive in these pages?

Hint of hypocracy creeping in?
You're right of course CS. But the arithmetic does seem weighted.

10 men fighting
1 injured
5 arrested - all soldiers

I wonder what or who the remaining four were.
 
#8
Long time since I was in the Wellington but back then it was used by orrificers and not the oiks Has this changed or will it be bowler hats and tight rolled umbrellas in court?
 
#9
I have not commented on guilt or otherwise, or made any assumptions, simply that with the circumstances as posted, and the allegation, as posted, this will be treated like someone has killed the Queen, and enormous pressure and interference will come to bear on the parties involved in the criminal justice system.
 
#10
hup-two-three said:
CrapSpy said:
The point is no one on this forum was actually there (I presume). So how can any of us possibly comment?

We're in danger of doing what the press do, and pre-judging the sequence of events that led to this incident.

And when the press do that, just how much abuse do they receive in these pages?

Hint of hypocracy creeping in?
You're right of course CS. But the arithmetic does seem weighted.

10 men fighting
1 injured
5 arrested - all soldiers

I wonder what or who the remaining four were.
I agree whole heatedly with this. with the army there will be in a controlled enviroment and not really given the chance to "coordinate" their response whereas the 'other' participants have a free range and can cook up anything that will make their story unbreakable.

Sorry but the dice are loaded against us. Soldiers are viewed as scum and unworthy of belief. Don't forget that they are under martial as well as civil law. If their case is overturned through whatever they will still be done for conduct unbecomming. Either they are stuffed.
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#11
johnojohnson said:
......

Sorry but the dice are loaded against us. Soldiers are viewed as scum and unworthy of belief. Don't forget that they are under martial as well as civil law. If their case is overturned through whatever they will still be done for conduct unbecomming. Either they are stuffed.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck 'im out, the brute !"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees !


Cheers Rudyard, you knew some things would never change......
 
#12
ORC, Wellington could still be considered 'exclusive', depending on one's understanding of that word. In any case, however, it's exclusive enough to exclude troopers.

It was Said who was on his way in when the attack occured.
 
#13
Oh for God's sake, cut the self pitying xenophobic cr*p........ does it occur to any of you that these could have been some p*ssed up squaddies looking for a fight and a rich looking Arab was just what they wanted?

If they're charged, it will on facts and evidence provided by the same police force and justice system that is fighting the same war on terrorism as the rest of us.

This tone of "our poor boys will be shafted by the Blairite system that hates them and by a public who just doesn't understand us" is nauseating..... f*cking get over it.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top