Battle of Culloden

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wayner1970, Dec 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This battle is key in our nations history. Is anyone else proud,as I am, that their Regiment was represented. If this sounds provocative to the loosing side then hey-ho. I cant change history. The Union (as it already was by then was threatened and we (the union) won).
  2. Aye that'll be right.
  3. Hmm From the "Aye that'll be right" you will be north of the border. No doubt Bill Wallace was an aussie too eh?
  4. Bill Wallace was nothing to do with Culloden. (as in fact neither was the nation of scotland).

Culloden was the end of the second Jacobite uprising,

As the Boyne was the end of the first.

and the "Ahem" good friday agreement was the "ahem" end of the third.
  5. The "Bill Wallace" quip was an aside, more attuned to the good man's heritige and not a reference to the vintage of the battle. I merely believe that the Battle itself was a key moment in a nations development. Either that or we are saying that roughing up the Highland Scots was a sde show to the wider "defence of the empire" issue
  6. That and the fact we got sold by lords and gentry to the Sassenachs.
  7. Deal with it, the Lords and Gentry of the time were the masters, and the rest of us mere peons. English were sold to others, as were French, Spanish... you get the drift.

The rest of the world that this affected has moved on, well most of them, do the same.

It wasn´t England V Scots, so quit with the b0110ß
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's difficult to see the Boyne as the conclusion of an 'uprising' though given that the rightful King was defeated and the usurper won.
  9. Culloden (Drumossie Moor) was neither the start or finish of the Risings, it was just one of many battles.

It actually all started with the Civil War (commonly called the English Civil War, but encompassing all the now British nations), and ended with the "Clearances".

A Jacobite was a supporter of the King, at the time of coining, James VI of Scotland and James I of England, a "Great(er) Britain" was actually his idea (dream), "the other side", were the Government / Parliament, both sides had representation from all the constituent parts of the British Isles.

Most of the battles fought during the period were won by the Jacobites.

Much of the dislike of the Jacobites for the Government (note I say Government, NOT English) is down to the fact that they were regarded as the highest kind of traitors, because they commited "regicide", by the execution of Charles I, at the time the King of two seperate countries.

The perceived hatred of the English, is largely due to the fact that the Seat of Government was in London, and it was the Government that was disliked, and the English by association.

It is almost self perpetuating problem, because people continue to refer to things as "English" when they mean, "British" and occassionally "Scots", "Welsh" or "Irish".

And believe it or not the English seem to be the worst for doing this.
  10. Seconded with gusto, there were quite a few thousand Scots in Red coats that day, In fact more than there were Englishmen.
  11. Not quite but still a singificant number

And you forget the lowlanders English and Irish in the Jacobite army

A good analysis can be found in Reids Like Hungry wolves
  12. John Prebble's "Culloden" is a good read and a great account of the campaign and the Jacobite campaign (and successes) in the lead-up to the battle.

It also points out that the vast majority of atrocities committed after the battle were carried out by fellow Scots...
  13. :D Whats left of the Scottish Infantry were all on the winning side! Although not all fought in that battle
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Aye, The Royals were on the winning side to the extent that the Bn 2IC got hate mail when the Bn arrived at Fort George in '91. There are long memories in the Highlands (as well as some posters here) :D
  15. K.OS.B were at Fort George in the late 70's we kept it gaun every weekend down the Doog,the locals "loved" us as well.