Battle of Crete

On holiday in Crete I went running up the mountain every morning. Even though I was in shorts and trainers, I was absolutely knackered running up the hills there. I can't help thinking of the soldiers tabbing, and fighting, over those same hills in full kit. Unbelievable courage and determination.

There is a good documentary about the aftermath of the battle for Crete called "The 11th day"

Went on a battlefield tour there when I was in. Had a piper from 2BW and a German Para who were there at the time, some of the stories they told were eye openers. The two old boys got on great.

My wifes father was an Able Seaman who was put ashore in northern Crete manning an AA battery, they became detached from the ship and fought there way across the island to be picked up by the RN. We regularly holiday in Plakias, southern Crete, and remember those that fell escaping the enemy.

ugly

LE
My late step father in law served there as Torpedo officer on HMS York. Not a nice time!

Only thing I can think of is something in Burma perhaps when the Japs invaded but I don't know of anything off the top of my head

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

For large numbers of troops to evade capture there must be an almost lottery win like situation in place.

Location, climate, access to food & water, a place escape too, & arguably the most important of all, a friendly population willing to help, or at least turn a blind eye.

Is there any other WW 2 battle that matches Crete with the number of troops who evaded capture?
Falaise gap, Korsun pocket, Kurland pocket. As Sicknote said, a lot of Russians must have "escaped" pockets (read - became partisans) during the opening stages of Barbarossa.

B

bokkatankie

Falaise gap, Korsun pocket, Kurland pocket. As Sicknote said, a lot of Russians must have "escaped" pockets (read - became partisans) during the opening stages of Barbarossa.
To be fair they were not on an island!

But they didn't have any Telly Savalas lookalikes around to help either

B

bokkatankie

Granted! Kurland was as good as an island though, you escaped over the sea, died, or went on an extended holiday to Russia.
Sorry missed Kurland in your post, you are, of course, quite correct. I do wonder how long it will be before some rockape turns up on this one to tell us that if they had been around all would have been different.

Sorry missed Kurland in your post, you are, of course, quite correct. I do wonder how long it will be before some rockape turns up on this one to tell us that if they had been around all would have been different.
It would have been different.... War would have been over by Christmas in time for bratwurst and pils on the strand....

Pleas save your dislike for the RAF Regt for another thread, this one is honoring the memory of men who took some very tough decisions during time of war.

I also think it appropriate to remember the courage of the Krauts. I know they were the enemy, but jumping into that can not have been a nice experience. Drifting gently down and getting shot at all the way, and landing in the middle of a battle and trying to find your mates without being shot by either side. Courage of a rare order on both sides, the likes of which we shall not see, on such a scale, in our lifetimes.