Battle of Crete - can anyone place this photo / screengrab?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
This popped up on Youtube
it looks to me to be from a film rather than a photo from the time, some of the uniform details don't look right compared to footage from the time.
There's no clue in the youtube comments either...
1634390312105.jpeg

Anyone recognise it?

No side arms or larger weapons: the officer in the Heer tunic is missing his belt though retains his shoulder braces: the general air of 'I am not happy about this!' = these are probably PWs, though where the shot was taken is anybody's guess.

Fallschirmjager_worldwartwo.filiminspector.com_24.jpg

2 Fallschirmjäger Division men and officers after surrendering at Brest, 19 or 20 September 1944 (colorized by Richard James Molloy).

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent! thanks.
That's a very good resource you found it on.

This popped up on Youtube
it looks to me to be from a film rather than a photo from the time, some of the uniform details don't look right compared to footage from the time.
There's no clue in the youtube comments either...
View attachment 610161

Anyone recognise it?
That's because it's the name of the song not the historic location of the picture I would imagine. Not one I've come across before.

If you want a version of this with a Crete hillside backdrop, armed paras and less exhausted looking - see this version below.

Its also got an English and German word translation

If you want a version of this with a Crete hillside backdrop, armed paras and less exhausted looking - see this version below.

Reenacted for the Adler after the actual surrender. In the series of images you will find "Tommies" wearing german bits of kit. ATB magazine did a story on this

It sounds aggressive, Teutonic and very ally in German, but like a lot of German military songs and marches, when translated into English are really nothing more than miitaristic love songs. Like Erika about a flower that reminds the soldier of his girlfriend.

Es war ein Edelweiss - another ally sounding song about a little mountain flower and a soldiers sweetheart.

Westerwald - A folk song which songs more suited to one of Wagners epics.

The first time I heard 'Erika' was in the film The McKenzie Break in the early eighties. I would have never guessed it was about a f*cking flower!

About 20 years ago a had a couple of tapes of WW2 German military songs. I was playing them on my walkman on the tube on my way to work. I got so engrossed in Erika and Westerwald that I was almost goose stepping along the carriage. Luckily this was before the mass influx of Poles after 2004.

I wonder if the Germans had their equivelents of :

Madammoiselle from Arementieres.

Four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness.

Roll me over in the clover and do it again.

It was on the bridge at moonlight, picking blackheads from her ....

All the nice girls like a sailor.

Indeed, the FFL appears to have nicked a lot of the German ones. Probably because of an influx post WW2.
Not a lot of imagination then. But then they do invent every thing don’t. One day we’ll be told they invented Germany….. oh wait, now someone will tell me they did.

Kefi

War Hero
For anyone learning about the battle of Crete for the first time you need to understand the battle of Greece first. Today the 28th 0ct Greece celebrates Oxi Day (No day).

It sounds aggressive, Teutonic and very ally in German, but like a lot of German military songs and marches, when translated into English are really nothing more than miitaristic love songs. Like Erika about a flower that reminds the soldier of his girlfriend.

Es war ein Edelweiss - another ally sounding song about a little mountain flower and a soldiers sweetheart.

Westerwald - A folk song which songs more suited to one of Wagners epics.

The first time I heard 'Erika' was in the film The McKenzie Break in the early eighties. I would have never guessed it was about a f*cking flower!

About 20 years ago a had a couple of tapes of WW2 German military songs. I was playing them on my walkman on the tube on my way to work. I got so engrossed in Erika and Westerwald that I was almost goose stepping along the carriage. Luckily this was before the mass influx of Poles after 2004.

I wonder if the Germans had their equivelents of :

Madammoiselle from Arementieres.

Four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness.

Roll me over in the clover and do it again.

It was on the bridge at moonlight, picking blackheads from her ....

All the nice girls like a sailor.

Panzerleid as it should be sung... even by boys, too many boys.

[one of the comments has the translation - "...in our minds; yes, in our minds" etc]

Reenacted for the Adler after the actual surrender. In the series of images you will find "Tommies" wearing german bits of kit. ATB magazine did a story on this

But almost immediately afterwards, as there are still the obviously dead bodies of other soldiers lying on their approach walk to the surrender scene, as I recall.

Also, although this image appears to have been colourised, the original film, or still photographs taken at the same time, were in colour and reproduced many years ago in a Time-Life book series on WW2 (although I've rarely seen them reproduced on line).

Panzerleid as it should be sung... even by boys, too many boys.

[one of the comments has the translation - "...in our minds; yes, in our minds" etc]
The trouble is they play the first verse of the song over and over again. There are much better versions on YouTube with all the verses on it.

Latest Threads