Battle of Britain, film

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Chef, Aug 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just watched BoB again and noticed that at the end where a list of the nationalities of the RAF pilots is listed there crops up a lone Israeli pilot; fair enough you may say, but in 1940 there was no Israel, that comes another eight years later, so does anyone have any idea or suggestion as to who this character might be? By chance a neighbour of ours was a Jewish Polish fighter pilot so would he have counted twice? He did move to Israel for a short time.
  2. Hmmm a Palestinian perhaps?
  3. Maybe he moved to Isreal post war and the technical / historical advisers made a little faux pas?
  4. I had presumed he might be a Palestinian, but as the film was produced by Harry Salzman and was premiered on behalf of AJAX, the Jewish ex-serviceman's association I reckon that a bit of poetic licence was used as I can't believe that there was only one Jewish pilot involved.
  6. Another mystery is a block of flats in Richmond, Surrey, ( Finucane Court ) with a dedication on the wall to a WW2 pilot called Paddy Finucane who was shot down in the Channel.

I think he was Australian. So why this ?
  7. Brendan Finucane was Irish,his Family lived in Richmond-on-Thames. He was one of the RAF's rising stars. A fighter leader and Wingco at 23 I believe.

Got the chop off Boulougne in 1942 after being hit by flak, ditched, and couldn't get the canopy open.
  8. Paddy's Ozzie link was that he was transferred to a RAustAF squadron in 1941.
  9. In Hove, there is a block of flats called Noble Court named after Sgt. Dennis Noble whose Hurricane was shot down by a 109 and crashed nose down nearby.

Sgt. Noble actually has a grave in his home village and, as the location of the crashed Hurricane was well known locally, a few years ago a local Battle of Britain research group received permission to recover the wreck which was buried deep in someones garden. On reaching the cockpit they found that Sgt. Nobles remains were still there.

I think that it was fairly common practice that if remains couldn't be found, or were too difficult or dangerous to recover, then the coffin was suitably weighted to spare distress to the next of kin.