Battle of Britain, film

I've just watched BoB again and noticed that at the end where a list of the nationalities of the RAF pilots is listed there crops up a lone Israeli pilot; fair enough you may say, but in 1940 there was no Israel, that comes another eight years later, so does anyone have any idea or suggestion as to who this character might be? By chance a neighbour of ours was a Jewish Polish fighter pilot so would he have counted twice? He did move to Israel for a short time.

Hmmm a Palestinian perhaps?

Maybe he moved to Isreal post war and the technical / historical advisers made a little faux pas?

I had presumed he might be a Palestinian, but as the film was produced by Harry Salzman and was premiered on behalf of AJAX, the Jewish ex-serviceman's association I reckon that a bit of poetic licence was used as I can't believe that there was only one Jewish pilot involved.

804.03 Apparently there was a George Ernest Goodman who was born in Haifa in 1920, in what was to become Israel. He held a British passport, due to the region being under British mandate. In various publications he is referred to as Israeli or Palestinian. But, basically, this brave fella was born in Haifa, Joined a Hurricane squadron in France in 1940 and fought throughout the Battle of Britain, downing a number of aircraft and having to bail out once and crash land twice. He was awarded the DFC and sadly died on 14th June 1941 and is buried in Libya.
If you look at page http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/ww2/sugar4.html and under the title 'The Jewish RAF participants in the Battle of Britain' you'll find the entry for: George Ernest Goodman was Pilot Officer, later Flying Officer in No. 1 Squadron. His story is exceptional as he was born in Haifa, Israel on 8/10/20. Wynn says he was British solely because he had a British passport - like most born under the Mandate - but he was in fact an Israeli "sabra" and the only Israeli in the Battle of Britain, even though he may not have been Jewish (This is till being investigated)." RAF Museum researcher John Edwards testifies to these facts in an article in "London Jewish News" , 22/9/2000, by reporter John Kaye [8] . Furthermore in Mason's book [9] on page 506, Goodman is described as "Palestinian", in another [10] as "Israeli", and yet another [11] also as Israeli. The author also has in his possession an official copy of Goodman's birth certificate, all in Hebrew, from the Haifa municipality in Israel, now kept at the AJEX Musuem [12] .

Educated at Highgate school he was son of Sydney and Bida Goodman, was in the OTC and took a commission in the RAF in early 1939, joining his Hurricane squadron in France in March 1940, where he shared a kill of an He 111 and shot down another later which had helped sink the SS Lancastria off St Nazaire. Later, flying from Northolt he shot down an Me109, shared in another, then shot down an He 111 and then shared a Do 17 and then shot down another 110. On August 18th he was hit in his Hurricane P3757 but managed to land safely [13] .On September 6th 1940 he shot down another 110 but was himself shot down , baling out with an injury. His plane crashed at Brownings Farm, Chiddingstone Causeway. He later shared a Ju 88, damaged a Do 17 and was awarded the DFC on 26/11/40. In Nov. 1940 he flew the ferry route for the Middle East with 73 Squadron and stopped at Lagos where his parents were working in the diplomatic service. He saw his mother for the last time (his father was away) and as the Squadron later flew out, they did a roll over the Goodman home and then were away. In February 1941 he shot down a CR42 (an Italian fighter) in the Western Desert, and a Me 110 at Tobruk, but he was shot down but crash landed behind the British lines. He then shared an Hs 126, destroyed a Ju 87 and shared another, all over Tobruk. In April he took leave in Haifa, Israel, with his two sisters, but on June 14th 1941 he was shot down and killed by flak over Gazala. He is buried in Knightsbridge cemetery, Acroma, Libya, grave 10.C.21 John Horgan
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...battle+of+britain"+israeli&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Another mystery is a block of flats in Richmond, Surrey, ( Finucane Court ) with a dedication on the wall to a WW2 pilot called Paddy Finucane who was shot down in the Channel.

I think he was Australian. So why this ?

Brendan Finucane was Irish,his Family lived in Richmond-on-Thames. He was one of the RAF's rising stars. A fighter leader and Wingco at 23 I believe.

Got the chop off Boulougne in 1942 after being hit by flak, ditched, and couldn't get the canopy open.

Paddy's Ozzie link was that he was transferred to a RAustAF squadron in 1941.

In Hove, there is a block of flats called Noble Court named after Sgt. Dennis Noble whose Hurricane was shot down by a 109 and crashed nose down nearby.

Sgt. Noble actually has a grave in his home village and, as the location of the crashed Hurricane was well known locally, a few years ago a local Battle of Britain research group received permission to recover the wreck which was buried deep in someones garden. On reaching the cockpit they found that Sgt. Nobles remains were still there.

I think that it was fairly common practice that if remains couldn't be found, or were too difficult or dangerous to recover, then the coffin was suitably weighted to spare distress to the next of kin.