Battle Of Britain - actually the Battle Of Scotland?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by maguire, Jul 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Author claims The Battle of Britain 'began over Orkney' - Scotsman.com News

'Les Taylor, writer of Luftwaffe Over Scotland, said a three-day attack in April, 1940, when Germany's Air Force targeted Royal Navy shipping off Orkney and in Scapa Flow, was the true beginning of the famous battle that saw Winston Churchill declare: "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." '

hmm...I like to think of myself as reasonably well informed regarding this subject, and I've never heard anyone making reference to these events as the opening or precursor to the BoB. a genuine new perspective or is he just being a little too partisan in his outlook?

2. Why claim it as the Battle of Scotland? Nobody has ever claimed it as the Battle of England or Southern England. The last time I looked, Scotland was part of Britain. So no need to re-write history is there?

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Call me a cynic, but do you think this has more to do with books sales, rather than fact!

4. Typical Scottish attitude, nationalistic to the core.

5. I agree with PRT. He's just trying to get the book a higher profile thus higher sales.

Mind you, he's forgetting the dog fight over the Forth Rail Bridge area that extended along the Forth Estuary and over the Pentland Hills in October 1939. Perhaps he mentions this in his book...

6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

17th October 1939, first German aircraft to fall to AA fire in the War shot down. One survivor who was captured.4D+EK
    Also one of the bombers missed the Iron Duke and had bombs land on Hoy. First part of the Bitish Isles to be hit by a German bomb.

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I read something to that effect recently. Must have been Bomber Boys I read on the holiday I just back from.

8. Where it started is of no relevance to the fact that the BoB was the first time that Hitler and his cronies met with defeat.

Airmen from the four corners of the globe, never mind the four corners of this island nation and from across the island of Ireland turned up and drew a line in the sand that Hitler never managed to cross.

Academics will discuss it. Some schools will discuss it. Does it change the fact that what actually matters was a victory for "us" against the evil creatures that were (and are ??) the Nazis ? No.