Battle Honours - the supporting paper work

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Jennie, Jan 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently researching my unit's battle honours, and the reason we were awarded those honours; our part in the fighting.

Information on some of the honours has been easy to find, either through books, online documentation or our War Diaries. However there is one battle honour (Villers Bocage) that I am turning up a blank, it seems that we were not present! I was wondering if it is possible to access the supporting documentation for the awarding of these battle honours.

If this is possible, can any one give me an idea on the process on how to obtain the information?

Jennie

Edited: The Regiment was, is the Westminster Dragoons. One of three flail tank regiments that supported the fighting in NW Europe, clearing mine fields for the other teeth arms. The famous battle for Villers took place an June 13th 1944, but there were subsequent actions up till the end of July that took place close to the village. As I understand, we gained Villers bocage on the 4th august, when the Germans collapsed, and retreated from the village.

As I said, it would be interesting, if it exists to be able to access and read the supporting paper work. I do believe the supporting paper work for medal citations are available fro m Kew, so I was wondering if the Battle honour paper work is available?

2. Telling us what Regiment might help.

3. What unit are you researching? Given that Villers Bocage was a bit of a disaster (at least at first) it might be that your unit has conveniently forgotten its part................. :D

4. HM the Queen approves the award of whatever battle honour. As for history contact your RHQ.

5. Added, edited extra info but the Regiemtn is the Westminster Dragoons.

6. According to my 2005 copy of the Army List (on my desk as I speak!), the Westminster Dragoons (2nd County of London Yeomanry) are now part of the Royal Yeomanry who don't seem to have any battle honours at all. Seems a bit strange. W (Westminster Dragoons) Sqn are affiliated to the RTR who do not have Villers Bocage as a battle honour (although they do have Odon, Caen, Bourgebus etc). I would have thought that if it was a pukka battle honour it would be in the List but stand ready to be corrected!

7. Hello,

There's an ACF detachment in SE London badged Westminster Dragoons.
    In Catford I believe.

HS12

8. The Royal Yeomanry now has a battle honour awarded for Iraq 2003. It is becasue of this that our Guideon will be laid to rest, and hence the thinking for my article.

i have found information for all the honours other then Villers Bocage, even our own war Diareis obtained from Kew has no real reference to it. and as I drove into work this morning, I wondered if the supporting paper work, citation? would be avaialble from Kew, or the National Army Museum or simialr. Whilst I am interested in VB in particualr, reading the information of the other honours would also be of interest.

Jennie

9. 4th CLY (The Sharpshooters) were at Villers Bocage as part of 7th Armoured Division. I Imagine the Battle Honour came from them.

10. So it's likely to be a Royal Yeomanry battle honour inherited from 4 CLY (Sharpshooters). In other words, it seems it's not a Westminster Dragoons battle honour.

Are you researching the Westminster Dragoons or the Royal Yeomanry? In other words unit or sub-unit?

11. Thank you for yoru replies.

The battle honour in question was awarded to the Regiment of 2nd County of London (Westminster Dragoons)Yeaomanry. As Iunderstand this battle honour is not as a result of the 3rd ad 4th countly o f yeomanry who were also invovled in action at villers Bocage.

As such I am researchign the History of the Westminster Dragoons in our own capacity of a regiment rather then the Royal Yeomanry.

It would be interesting to see how the new Regimental Guideon will merge the various honours form the other squadrons withi the regiment

jennie

12. The Westminster Dragoons and 24th Lancers were awarded the battle honour Villers Bocage in 1956. In 1957 another nine regiments, including 3/4 CLY (Sharpshooters), were also awarded the honour.
    Details of the deliberations of the battle honours' committee may be found at TNA, Kew in series WO32. The decisions on the Sherwood Rangers Yeo and North Irish Horse are in WO32/15948 and 15949 respectively.

13. The Westminster Dragoons and 24th Lancers were awarded the battle honour Villers Bocage in 1956. In 1957 another nine regiments, including 3/4 CLY (Sharpshooters), were also awarded the honour.
    Details of the deliberations of the battle honours' committee may be found at TNA, Kew in series WO32. The decisions on the Sherwood Rangers Yeo and North Irish Horse are in WO32/15948 and 15949 respectively.

14. Can I assume that this battle honour was awarded to the 2nd CLY for actions after the 'battle of Villers Bocage' of Michel Wittman fame? In other words in Jul/Aug 44?