Battle Honours and VCs post FIS

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by sandy_boots, Apr 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Post SDR PWRR had the most battle honours and RGJ the most VCs (59)

Post FIS the RIFLES will clearly have the most VCs with I believe 116 (59 x RGJ, 43 x LI, 4 x DDLI, 10 x RGBW)

Gents, I don't have a copy of the army list and don't have the time to search the web, so who will claim the most battle honours under FIS?

2. I would hazard the SCOTS though comparisons are odious especially when one considers the KRRC and Rifle Brigade each had four regular Bns in their halcyon years.

3. That's why I asked, Busterdog. KRRC and RB are comparatively young regiments.

4. S_B. KRRC were the 60th Foot the Rifle Brigade were originally the 95th, both of those regiments, on becoming rifle regiments, expanded to four Bns. I think you are confusing those original regiments (and the 43rd&52nd (OX&BUCKS) Light Infantry) with their successor 'Large Regiment' the Royal Green Jackets.

5. Your grand totals will probably include some duplicates - e.g. Somme 1916

6. Sorry this is a tad off topic but I can only find three DDLI VC's
    - Lieutenant Masterson, Wagon Hill
    - Lcpl Onions, Aichet Le Petit
    - LtCol H Jones, Falkland Islands
    So could anyone tell me the fourth?
    Cheers
    Rustyh

7. Will duplicate battle honours count towards the total? I think that the antecedent regiments of the Rifles add up to 21 regiments of foot, therefore muchos honores. However, the Scots have the advantage of incorportaing the 1st of Foot who will have had the chance to fight in every battle since Pontius Pilate started doing his thing to the East of Rome. If recollection serves me right I thought it was the Highlanders who had the most battle honours prior to the latest amalgamations. I know for sure that the RGBWLI have more than 200.

I should imagine now that with all the amalgamations every regiment of the army will have been at Waterloo and D-Day. The regiment that will come up trumps will be the one who fought in the more obscure battles such as the War for Don Emmanuel's Netherparts, etc.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

This makes selecting regimental days easier as the Rifles will all share Salamanca day along with a few others but as said before the odd ones will be fun!

9. DDLI VC number 4:

Vickery, S
    Regiment: Dorsetshire Regiment
    Date of Act Of Bravery: 20 October 1897
    Campaign: North West Frontier, India
    Locale: Dargai Heights, Waran Valley

10. Rusty H, I hadn't included H Jones in the 4 as the Parachute Regiment claim it.

The other Devon i found is:

Veale, Theodore William Henry
    Regiment: 8th Battalion. Devon Regiment
    Date of Act Of Bravery: 20 July 1916
    Locale: East of High Wood. France

11. Cheers for that i was dubious of the H Jones one as well seeing as he earn't it serving with the Paras but the DDLI seem a little unwilling to let him go.
    Cheers
    Rustyh

12. He is by no means the only VC claimed by more than one Regt. Pte Henry Tandey VC DCM MM (the most decorated Pte Soldier in WW1) is claimed by both GH and DWR. He joined the Green Howards in 1914 but won his medals with 5 DWR in late 1918.

Problem solved after FIS!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. I think you'll find that Sergeant Gregg, 13th Bn Rifle Brigade, was the first soldier to be awarded the VC, DCM & MM. He beat Tandey by a clear 5 months.

14. Hence why I said Pte soldier... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Touché CL 8)