Battle group kicks arrse

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by thegimp, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Busted link Gimp

2. Cheers

3. Good skills, well done lads...

Paybacks a bitch eh?

4. I hope they caught some of those chaps with thier pants down!

5. Good effort. Twenty/Nill, I like that scoreline even better than ManU's.

6. Well done chaps.

Well said Sir, soon enough they'll get the message.

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sadly, I don't think that they will. We've been surging like this, whenever deemed necessary, for some years. Personally, I'm all in favour of a bit of 'eye for an eye', but if anyone expects it to have anything other than a very temporary effect is living on another planet.

8. Also from the article:

"There were no British casualties as they gradually fought their way back to their base at Basra Palace."

They've already got the message. The militia control these areas. They still do. We've shown that we we need a Bn to enter them. We've shown that when they mass forces we have to stop what we're doing and fight out of the area. What size force do we need to maintain a presence and affect what goes on once we've left the area ? More than we've got, that's for damn sure.

Seriously, regardless of how well the lads and lasses performed does anyone really think this is progress ? Now, hearing that a section attached to the Iraqi police did the same job with no trouble, that would be progress.

9. "they gradually fought their way back to their base"

That is not news to crow about....

These operations are utterly counter-productive unless conducted with appropriate force levels.

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Have to agree
    I think the other side will trumpet this as
    We chased a battle group away back to their base
    They may have lost 20 but to them thats nothing they will see that they still rule the streets and we don't

11. a faux feigned retreat!

Excuse my naivete, but what use are fast jets (without guns, if 'coalition' means UK... doubtful) in street battles? Do we still have the guided kinetic/concrete bombs in theatre? Surely the jets would engage the 'enemy' if that were possible, and the enemy is smart enough to realise this, so how is buzzing them intimidatory?

wretchard cut to the chase this morning:

The stated objective of the British incursion was to "make quite clear there's nowhere in Basra we cannot go". It was not to arrest the bombers who had blown up the Warrior nor to dismantle the cells which planned the attack. It was not even to police up the hundreds of weapons and stocks of ammunition secreted everywhere in anticipation of a British incursion, except insofar as it was used up firing on them. The British troops fought skilfully and well but it is far from clear whether the objective had any meaning or if it was achieved at all.

12. Demonstrations (a recognised effect) of this kind have been quite useful in the past, particularly in Al Amarah. Escalation to actual engagement has also occured on occasion although not, to my knowledge in Basra before (I am not, however, current).

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Er....one for the steely eyed death-dealers....scuse a question from a sad old REMF who really doesn't understand CQB in an urban environment but.....

Given that every report I've seen mentions
    'Iraqi militaia running over roof tops to get into position'

......wouldn't it make sense to put a few guys with L96...er....on a rooftop ?

( I'll get me coat then....)

Don Cabra