Battle for Haditha

not watching it, but totally agree that they're a tad weird!

I'm watching it and thinking, "what psyop message is in there?", because it's obviously a dramatisation on scene with a "higher than average documentary" budget.

Either I'm getting old but the squad leader looks about 18

Is this not the movie that was paid for by George Soros the anti war activist? If it is they made it without going to Iraq, speaking to any Marines or even waiting for the trials to finish.

Had to laugh when I saw the squad leader with a big Rambo knife attached to his shoulder. About 6 weeks ago I watched a PFC doing many press ups for having a big, daft knife attached to his body armour.

Edited to correct myself before someone else does; this isn't the George Soros movie, it is called "Redacted".

Yes, me & Mrs Stilts are watching it, err is it me or do the spetics not have any ROE, ie shooting civvies and going in to buildings in red?

Or are they taking the old Nazi way of doing hearts and minds?

Stilts

PS Mrs Stilts keeps saying: "c0ck wakner & tw@" alot!

Tell missus Stilts to, "calm down, it's only a movie". Several things are jumping out at me immediately in terms of anti-war psyop. It was spun entirely from the angle that only two insurgents kicked it off.

Conditions predating the engagement were reported as follows:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/aug/22/iraq.rorycarroll1

You're not recieving any impression of that in the 'peaceful suburbia' foreshots. That's not in their remit.

Redmist discended and they went suited and booted in on the ground after. Could have been worse. Thank heavans for small mercies.

I do think it's a bit underhanded that the "artistic license film chappys" have gone for the jugular before investigations conclude, but then again it's simply because the anti-war mob wish to recieve their "pound of flesh" and they're brooding over how the case is going not entirely to their satisfaction. Reduced down to negligent homicide for the CO arriving on scene.

STILTS said:
Yes, me & Mrs Stilts are watching it, err is it me or do the spetics not have any ROE, ie shooting civvies and going in to buildings in red?

Or are they taking the old Nazi way of doing hearts and minds?

Stilts

PS Mrs Stilts keeps saying: "c0ck wakner & tw@" alot!
Basically they went in red and did the vill supposedly got footage of the
whole incdent from a drone .so according to their roe it was ok :oops:

I really can't understand why anyone would try and put this into any context or try and justify the actions of really went on that day.

The film is a docudrama. Not facts.

And I think, IMHO, that the insurgents are protrayed in a none too sympathetic light.

Lets get it straight, sometimes, people in uniform do bad things, whilst under intense pressure. Hence the convictions of the guys who went over the top.

Not on the same scale, but My Lai was remembered this week. Noone went to jail for that.

I watched it, the August incident was referred to at the start of the film by one of the marines. The film comes across as using dramatic licence, but the facts are damning and tragic enough and I note that this is "still under investigation" - obviously they haven't got around to blaming a couple of marines and pretending all else was fine!

My Lai - the platoon commander (at least) went to jail but was pardoned by Nixon. Some villagers were saved by a helicopter crew who flew out a dozen or so and the crew chief Warrant Officer Thompson (died 2006) ordered his crew to open fire if the soldiers fired on the villagers: with the memorable quote

Y'all cover me! If these bastards open up on me or these people, you open up on them. Promise me!"
Just goes to show that not all in uniform are bloodthirsty maniacs. :wink: It only took the My Lai crew 30 years to get their medals (one posthumously), far longer than Lt Calley's presidential pardon.

Edited to add winky face in case above "bloodthirsty" bit was interpreted literally and to note that Warrant Officer Thompson in fact received the Distinguished Flying Cross quickly after the incident for a fabricated version of events including the quote "...sound judgment had greatly enhanced Vietnamese-American relations in the operational area" the citation of which he threw away.