Battle for Darwin and Goose Green 28th May 1982

joey88

Old-Salt
Hard to believe it was thirty eight years ago. I was in school, this was the first major war against a foreign enemy that Britain had been involved in during my life.
I was very excited reading about it, watching the task force leaving. I was carried away on the patriotic stuff without knowing what you were all going through.( Spent my youth reading the commando books).
I obviously had a better understanding when I joined up (RN) total respect to you all.

Hard to believe that most of the guys would now be in their late 50s but mostly 60s.
I remember reading about Jason Burt who was killed aged 17, his mum never changed his bedroom from the day he left it.
Some of them were fathers to be who never met their children. And many more never got to see their children grow up.
They inspired a generation.

Tuffty

War Hero
My mate was one of the Radio Ops in Keeble's party. The only things he has said to me about GG is how cold it was, how crap the old waterproofs (crisp packets)were and how flat it was. It was only when i visited with work did i understand how very flat it all was. Hats off to them all

I have just finished reading The Silent Listener: British Electronic Surveillance Falklands 1982 by D. J. Thorp ISBN: 9780752477398. He was leading the Electronic Warfare effort in the South Atlantic and heard all sorts of things.
I knew Thorp, I knew several of the lads that went down south with him, they all said that he was the biggest bullshitter on the planet merely to blow his own trumpet.

Read the 1 star reviews of his book on Amazon to get the real gen on what utter bollocks the book was, written by people that were there.

My mate was one of the Radio Ops in Keeble's party. The only things he has said to me about GG is how cold it was, how crap the old waterproofs (crisp packets)were and how flat it was. It was only when i visited with work did i understand how very flat it all was. Hats off to them all
Pretty much what Dave Norris of the Daily Mail said about it, though with quite a few other choice Anglo-Saxon epithets thrown in. Dave was also with Chris Keeble’s party. Your mate will have known him.
I agree it’s a pretty bare-arsed feature and pretty flat, forward slope from the Darwin gorse line down to Goose Green itself.