Battle for Darwin and Goose Green 28th May 1982

Two hundred and fifty Argentine soldiers are killed and 17 British troops die in a fierce battle which lasted a day and a night.
The British troops are vastly outnumbered and take more than 1000 prisoners of war.
Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel H Jones is killed leading an assault on an Argentine command post and posthumously awarded the VC.
R.I.P. H

Brave, but I have other views best kept to myself.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
another example of british luck and pluck. they should have been wiped out due to bad intel IIRC

mind you statistically we should never have got even close to taking them back.

I walked the ground with a guy who was there and he balled his eyes out the whole way.

Having spent a few months living between Goose Green and Darwin not long after the war, and walking the battlefield numerous times, it could have been a lot worse, to borrow someone else's words; it was a close run thing.

Edit: removed comment about number of Argentine deaths as picked up elsewhere.

Respect to all participants from both sides: RIP.

The troop I was attached to (2 Tp, 51 Fd Sqn RE) were responsible for constructing the Argentine Cemetery at Darwin, we all attended the ceremony when it was completed, very moving.

A bit surreal though; the service was filmed by UK media, once it was over, we had to do it all again so that it could be filmed from the air.

Last edited:
another example of british luck and pluck. they should have been wiped out due to bad intel IIRC

mind you statistically we should never have got even close to taking them back.

I walked the ground with a guy who was there and he balled his eyes out the whole way.

You have that effect .

Joking aside, respect to him and all those who endured the whole campaign , it's the kind of battle that the British Infantryman and others were geared up for at the time via our ethos and training.

Having spent a few months living between Goose Green and Darwin not long after the war, and walking the battlefield numerous times, it could have been a lot worse, to borrow someone else's words; it was a close run thing.

I think your figures for Argentine deaths are way out.
I stand of course to be corrected, My senile old brain has that figure filed away.
No willy waving but R.I.P to all.

Two hundred and fifty Argentine soldiers are killed and 17 British troops die in a fierce battle which lasted a day and a night.
The British troops are vastly outnumbered and take more than 1000 prisoners of war.
Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel H Jones is killed leading an assault on an Argentine command post and posthumously awarded the VC.
R.I.P. H

Brave, but I have other views best kept to myself.
250 Argentine KIA?

It's been a while since i read anything about this battle but I recall the figure being something like 40 or 50.

250 Argentine KIA?

It's been a while since i read anything about this battle but I recall the figure being something like 40 or 50.
My bad,very bad you are correct. The effects of time . I was wrong.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You have that effect .

Joking aside, respect to him and all those who endured the whole campaign , it's the kind of battle that the British Infantryman and others were geared up for at the time via our ethos and training.
Our main training at the time was holding back waves of 3rd Shock Army tanks!

Our main training at the time was holding back waves of 3rd Shock Army tanks!

Yep, 2RGJ, we had spent a year or so, doing that while in Minden , before a Belfast Tour. We were just coming off leave from that when it all kicked off.

I meant the tactics, aggression, and countless section and Pl attacks we practiced suited a lot of the fighting v the Argies

Falklands War Diary is a good follow as it give a blow by blow account. You don't need to be signed up to see the posts (I think)

By the @wheelchairwarrier, my Dad who was on Ascension with the RAF said there was a rumour at the time that H Jones was shot in the back in a blue on blue incident. Presumably that is without foundation?

MM

june 82_0005.jpg

june 82_0006.jpg

june 82_0007.jpg

june 82_0008.jpg

june 82_0010.jpg

Some of my pics...

Falklands War Diary is a good follow as it give a blow by blow account. You don't need to be signed up to see the posts (I think)

By the @wheelchairwarrier, my Dad who was on Ascension with the RAF said there was a rumour at the time that H Jones was shot in the back in a blue on blue incident. Presumably that is without foundation?

MM
no Idea we were still on our way down

Very good account by Major Chris Keeble DSO who had the command arm band passed to him when Colonel H was shot. Major Chris Keeble's account of Goose Green | ParaData As he was there and most of us have read books about it or walked the ground 20 years after the event I know whose account to trust.
I was at IDB Warminster as a Pl Cmdr at the time and well remember the rumours and information that came streaming out of the School of Infantry and the troops we lost to reinforce various Bns, when 5 Brigade went we lost a lot to make up numbers and for the skill sets they had. I well remember the non stop TV in the mess and the breaking news as the losses were announced - Colonel H, Captain David Wood and Captain Gavin Hamilton MC SAS (and ex Adjt of IDB) had all been at Warminster shortly before deploying and David Woods wife was the MO at the SoI at the time. At times it was very dusty there.

ABNredleg

War Hero
I served with a sergeant from 2 Para who won the MM at Goose Green. I never really appreciated what a close-run battle it was until I listened to his stories.

Latest Threads