Battle for Baghdad: 90 Days to Victory?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stonker, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the weekend, Over 130 Iraqis died in a Baghdad market attacked by bombers.

25 US soldiers were killed, 13 of them in a single helicopter crash.
    No figures given for wounded, but statistically, the ratio of US and UK killed:wounded in Iraq runs at 1:7.

General George Casey, Commander of US Forces in Iraq told reporters:
    BBC also reports that just over 3000 additional US troops have arrived in Iraq so far.

Is anybody out there tracking how much of the total increase in US force levels is now on the ground in Baghdad, and when it will reach its peak?

2. Just when you think they're beginning to see the light, some gems from the poll report:

They think there are goals :?: :?: :?:
    Anyway, that's 52% of the public who are terminally deludeded in one or other of 2 ways.

On the other hand:
    which is a little more reassuring: except that the terminally deluded remain in the majority - even if one half disagrees with the other!

3. The following needs no supplementary comment from me whatsoever:

In another interview a week earlier, on January 14, on CBS's 60 Minutes, Bush repelled any suggestion of responsibility for error in his Iraq policy. He located the lack of public support in the United States in the insufficient thanks offered by the Iraqis. "Do you think you owe the Iraqi people an apology for not doing a better job?" asked correspondent Scott Pelley. "That we didn't do a better job or they didn't do a better job?" replied the president. "Well, that the United States did not do a better job in providing security after the invasion." "Not at all," said Bush. "I am proud of the efforts we did. We liberated that country from a tyrant. I think the Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude, and I believe most Iraqis express that. I mean the people understand that we've endured great sacrifice to help them. That's the problem here in America. They wonder whether or not there is a gratitude level that's significant enough in Iraq."

Source S. Blumenthal Guardian 23.1.07.

4. I noticed that Troops in Iraq arrested X number of Mahdi Army members.
    When I read that Sadar and X numbers have been Strung UP a'la Sadam then I'll beleive that Peace of some kind may be on the way.
    john
    Sorry George but ya've Blown it AGAIN.

5. http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\01\24\story_24-1-2007_pg7_31

6. Re HvH post above
    Maybe some very slight comfort will come when Lt Gen David Petraeus gets his feet under the table. He is the guy who has formed opinions re place of hearts and minds in what they are trying to achieve and also has a good background as Commander elsewhere in Iraq in showing these work. Even so, it is bloody dire out there, Us and the Yanks.

7. Even so, I'm pretty sure he can't achieve the concentration of US troops in Baghdad that he used in his previous command - all the more reason to agree with last 2 sentences. :sad:

8. In Full

Difficult to know the full picture from press snippets, but I wonder if this kind of incident is part of an Insurgent plan to hit the US in places where their army isn't.

Same paper reported around Petraeus appearnce at the Senate Committee, answering questions about when the 'surge' will max out, and troop densities in Baghdad:

In Full

9. If the Americans are looking for 'Victory' they know where they can find it
    it's somewhere in the dictionary between the words Venereal and Virus.

10. Stonker wrote:
    "Difficult to know the full picture from press snippets, but I wonder if this kind of incident is part of an Insurgent plan to hit the US in places where their army isn't?"

In a word stonker...Yes.
    (It's the old insurgent soft shoe shuffle - page one of the manual.)

11. I was simply struck by this following on after the young lady from the charitable foundation was killed. I suspect that there's a good many non-Iraqi civilians being attacked, but not reported in the Euro press.

It's another way to hit at the infidel, and if it happens to hit US citizens, and make the US Army look impotent, so much the better. Probably wouldn't need to be centrally coordinated: just a natural thing to do if the US troops are more difficult targets.

It's gonna be a bloody, miserable Spring, I fear.

12. Of course its going to be miserable - and mad.
    Remember the U.S. generals did not want a surge with extra troops a few weeks ago.
    But G. Bush a draft dodging shyster who knows bugger all and cares even less insisted a surge must take place.

So now the generals are going to try and put into action a military plan that did not have its impetus originate from within the military mind.

And if in spite of this they achieve a 'victory' that 'victory' will be over the card board cut out 'democratic' government of Iraq which may very well tear itself apart under the strain.
    If they crush the Mehdi army they will also have crushed the government.
    In other words if the operation is a success the patient will die.

In fact if the U.S. achieved anything like the 'Victory' they rather simplistically wish for they could possibly end up back in a situation that they created when they first occupied the country when the previous regime collapsed, owning an ungoverned and ungovernable country.
    Two lessons here:
    You can't introduce democracy by force - and be careful what you wish for.

(Oh how the Chinese must be laughing up their sleeves at the activities of these American young fools - they have so much to learn.)

13. If those who live by the sword can't stop Bush neither I suppose can those who live by the pen. Nonetheless the senators have voted against the surge that apparently has already began:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070124/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq

Can't you just smell the brown stuff as it heads towards the fan?

14. 'Five American Security Employees Killed in Baghdad Helicopter Attack'

Eh Stonker, is this "Air America" Rides again ?
    john
    I used to know a very inofensive Electronics mech, old lad wouldn' t say Boo to a Goose.
    One day he just let on Oh I used to work for AA. Never took much notice until one trip to Bangkok. Chatting to an old mamasan his name came up. Quite guy says I, Huh you should have known him years ago, he was chased across the roof tops here by a girl with a gun. I asked him if it was true, he blushed and said well she was a lousey shot and only had a revolver.