Battle erupts at Russian school!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tabs, Sep 3, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3624024.stm

Sounds like the softly softly approach has been abandoned!

2. msr

msr LE

It was always going to be a bloodbath.

The Russian Special Forces are not all that special :(

msr

3. I saw a picture that made me laugh in the Paper today; Russian soldier in 99p shop DPM jacket with an AK fitted with a scope, the caption said "Sharpshooter - a Russian sniper takes aim at the scene of the siege"

I don't think I like the idea of some crazy Ivan with an AK claiming to be an accurate sniper.

4. Yeah mate, hilarious.

5. Initial casualty figures don't seem too bad if you belive the figures given of in excess of 1000 hostages, 200 injured and 10 dead so far.

It does look like their "SF" let a load of the terrorists get away though, so there may be a continuation of the hostage situation.

Afer watching those poor fcuking kids legging it out of there in their underwear, I for one wouldn't shed a tear if Putin decided to nuke chechnya back into a primordial state.

6. Well, when I say laugh I didn't mean in a "funny ha ha" way, I meant more of a nervous "Oh fück, this is going to go badly wrong" sort of way.

What kind of sick fücker do you think I am?

7. was it this one

[​IMG]

[/url]

8. Cow

Cow LE

Cant imagine this happening any other way in russia, notice no gas this time...!

9. its live on ITV right now

kill all the hostage taking barstards slowly, painfully and alone

10. Have heard a report that the Russian Forces had to "save" one of the terrs (female) from the crowd of parents as she was being loaded into an ambulance. A situation in which they may possibly have stood to be less efficient IMHO.

Also reports that there are circa 100 corpses in the burned out gym.

Two thoughts strike me at this point. Given the 24 hour global nature of the coverage of this event, will it encourage others to see schools as "high publicity" targets? And, at this point would anyone inside Russia complain if Putin followed Auntie Stella's recommended course of action?

11. F*kcing BBC!

they've got some Doris called Dr Sally from a coy called "NewRisk Ltd" being there expert commentary :!: :!:

Anyone heard of her or this bloody company. God forbid they get a russian or anti-terrorist expert on, just might give a opinion not in line with their liberal views (lets all sit around a table, think good thoughts and all the big bad people will go away).

ITV, much better coverage

12. Yes. You can kind of see the logic of terrorist groups who launch attacks on security/occupation forces but this kind of thing is an obscenity. It seems to me an impossibility that a terrorist group which bases its strategy on committing atrocities against children could ever adapt to being a legitimate or democratic government, even if they were ultimately successful in getting the Russians to leave. It's like the 9/11 attacks: the people who committed them are so far beyond reason that they should just be hunted down and eradicated like rabid dogs.

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I was surprised to hear that chechnyens live all over Russia (e.g. like the Irish live all over the UK) and it is of course just the barmy ***** who think their two rocks are better than anyone elses two rocks that don't want to give anything up. the reason is that Stalin had them shifted them all out of chechnya and had them dispersed all over the Russia, they were - as a group - very 'anti-soviet, anti-Russia'.

I suspect Russia is in for the long haul on this one but isn't it a constant training grounds made the British Army what it is... And on top of that - a constant threat means Russia wants a strong leader and strong leader in Russia in spelt Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putin and that is all he needs to keep winning elections and nicking oil companies for his KGB mates?

100 dead now.

I however can't help but feel turning it, like afghanistan into a glowing wasteground would probably be doing most of the rest of the world a favour. And you'd get 8 legged cats... cool!

14. Actually, from the terrs. point of view attacking a school is infinitely preferable. Quite aside from the rather obvious lack of people to shoot back, attacking a military unit gets you five minutes on the national news. Taking over a school has you on every network in the world for as long as it lasts and some time afterwards.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this is the first instance of such an attack. If it does start a fashion trend in the terrorist world, we are all in for the long haul.