Battle Dishonours / Disgraces

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by JONESY24546113, Jan 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

I wondering if someone can give me some info ref Battle Dishonours / Disgraces worn on uniforms by members of the British Army.

For example my old unit 1BW wore squared toed spats - Worn "alledgedly" for breaking the square at Quatre Bras or Tamai...Unbelievably nobody seems to know the truth about how the square toed spat evolved !! :oops:

I have also been told of several RA units wearing lanyards of various colours as a Battle Dishonour for losing their this true??

I was told many years ago that Regiments do not wear Battle Dishonours as it would be bad for morale /esprit de corps.

2. I heard that the Black Watch didn't wear a cap badge because of an act of cowardice. Did you hear/read any reason why the BW just wore the hackle?

This is on Wiki:

The regiment's earliest days were inauspicious; ordered to London in 1743 for an inspection by King George II, rumours flew that they were to be shipped to the West Indies to fight in the War of Austrian Succession, and many left for Scotland. They were recaptured, three of the leaders shot in the Tower of London, and the remainder of the regiment shipped to Flanders.
  3. In the interests of PERSEC, you might want to take your service number out of your username?
  4. I was once told the Lorne Scots (Canadian Reserve Infantry Regt.) wore a yellow hackle for the rape of some nuns. Dunno if there is any truth to it
  5. The truth about the RA White Lanyard is here:-

White Lanyard

Total Disgrace !!! Good job the Sappers were there to save the day! :D
  6. I would be very surprised if any unit has any accoutrement that relates to a disgrace or dishonour.

Many stories persist and they are always good for banter, some of these are:

The RA receiving the white Lanyard for deserting guns and the RE gaining a blue one for manning them. Much as it pains me no truth whatsoever, although it is amazingly good fun winding dropshorts up about the whole thing :D :D

Yellow in stable belts for regimental cowardice, more like yellow to brighten the uniform

The cannon balls on the old RAOC cap-badge being oversized due to a resupply cock up. If they where in proportion to the cannons you would not be able to see them.

I am happy to be proven wrong, however, I think any Corps or Regt would have done the upmost to lose any link to dishonour at some stage
  7. I'm of the belief that, as much as other units would wish it to be so and delight in spreading the myth, battle dishonours don't get commemorated in dress.

To anyone familiar with the way dress regs evolve, which do you think is the most likely scenario?:

(1) Army Board to CO Black Watch: "As your square was broken, you will now wear cutaway spats (gaiters) to keep reminding you"

(2) CO Black Watch to Army Board :"As our square was broken, please may we wear cutaway spats (gaiters) to keep reminding us"

(3) CO Black Watch to QM: "I think my cutaway gaiters look quite spiffing, order a thousand pairs will you, QM and get the Army Board to OK the pattern".

8. Not 100% correct there mucker. If anything the names of those shot at the Tower are well known in the Regiment - A monument to the raising of the Regiment stands at Aberfeldy, and a copy of this in silver sits or sat in the centre of the main table in the Officers Mess....The top of the monument is a soldier in the uniform of the mid 18th Century and is said to be Farqhuar Shaw, one of those excecuted.

At the Regiments first Battle at Fontenoy the Watch fought a rear guard action, which much impressed the Duke of Cumberland and the French!

The Hackle was awarded to the 42nd at Royston, Hertfordshire 1795, supposidly for the rescuing some guns at Geldermalsen the previous year.However the wearing of the hackle probably goes back to the campaigns in North America against the French and the colonial Yanks.

Other Regiments took up wearing the Red Hackle, and in 1822 Horseguards ordered that it was to be used exclusively by the 42nd. The Black Watch do have a cap badge - worn in Glengarry`s and Feather Bonnets.
  9. I'm sure that a certain cavalry regiment was ordered by Wellington to hold vespers (if not in perpetuity!)every evening for 100yrs because of the rape of a number of nuns by it's soldiers in Spain or Portugal during the Peninsular War, can anyone confirm this?
  10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

It's hardly the latest series, besides he's been using that name for over five years so there's a fair possibility he doesn't give a rat's arse.
  11. There may be other instances but the only occasion I can think of and not necessarily a disgrace and not a uniform thing; when something detrimental has happened and is commemorated in custom/tradition, was the occasion of Queen Victoria's funeral.

At Windsor station, the RHA horses hitched to the gun carriage shied and the means of connecting the horses to the gun carriage broke.

However some Jolly Jack Tars were on hand and were able to hitch up the wagon bearing the coffin using, as legend has it, the train's communication cord, and proceeded to drag the gun carriage to Frogmore.

So on every state funeral since then, although the bier is still a gun carriage, the RHA's horses have been made redundant and it has always been towed by sailors.
  12. One story I have not been able to fathom out is mentioned in one of George Macdonald Frasers books when he was with the Gordon Highlanders. When a member of a rival Scottish regiment saw a Gordon he would shout 'dinna shoot the cheese' - it was, apparently, a famous joke against the regiment. Can any ex-Gordon (or other) on here shed any light on this?
  13. What about the Cherrypickers, then? Weren't they deprived of their capbadge for some battle dishonour?