• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Battle Comic

C

cloudbuster

They're republishing them as the MoD has sought to find ways to cut the training budget.

Remember "Union Jack Jackson"? - the Royal Marine who cut about with the USMC in the Pacific?(or as I pronounced it - Onion Jack Jackson)
He had the Union Flag painted on his American bin lid by Sgt Lonnegon apparently.

That was "Warlord" though.

Don't forget Charley's War !

I had the complete set from issue one all in folders even when they became Battle Action.

Went downhill when they tried to combine with 2000AD though.

They ended up on a tip a few years ago during a house move!

:(

Some of those strips brought back memories. Thanks for the link, addictive site, read one page and you just have to go on to the next to see what happens. Just like the old days :D

Commando comic was a particular favourite of mine, all that action conveniently sized to fit into a school work book...All those tails of daring do!! Oh to be a kid again!!

I shall be visiting that link quite regularly. Nice one Spanny!

Edited to add...I've just seen the opening page of your link and i remember that sticker sheet being issued...Fcuking wonderful!!

it was " War picture Library" in my day with the "Victor and the Hotspur" as my weekly comic, I can remember the "Commando" war stories first coming out, must have been about 1958

Corps_Asset said:
dont forget "Charley's War" has been re released in annual form, about 4 volumes or so.awesome............... Titan Books!!

Right, that's going on the christmas list!

I'm in Battle heaven, it's just a shame that some of the smaller characteurs haven't made it onto there yet. For example 'El Mestizo', 'War Dog' and 'The Sarge'.

I see a few weeks of reading ahead! :lol:

(Thanks for the link btw, great spot!)

Gremlin said:
I'm in Battle heaven, it's just a shame that some of the smaller characteurs haven't made it onto there yet. For example 'El Mestizo', 'War Dog' and 'The Sarge'.
Oh yeah The Sarge . What I loved about that strip was trying to work out whose name the next bullet had on it . I vividly remember an installment where the platoon visit a fortune teller in Italy who told them one of would die in a desert . Of course there's no deserts in Italy but freak weather conditions caused sand from North Africa to travel across the Med and the final frame of that weeks strip ended with the platoon standing awe struck in front of an Italian desert . It really is scary what you can remember as a kid 8O

The Sarge was great. Anyone else remember when a new guy joined them from the US? He was British but had grown up in the States. He kept going on about how great everything the US made was. He got blown up & lost all his clothes & his Lee Enfield was damaged. So he dons a conviently dead US soldiers clothes & takes his Garand rifle, which he thinks is the dogs danglies. Up until he gets into a firefight with some Germans & the after using up his clip of ammo the Garand ejects the empty clip, making a noise when it hits the ground. Thus alerting the Germans that he has no bullets in his gun, so they charge before he can reload, & the Sarge comes to his rescue. The Brit/Septic then realises that not all US material is the best, as I'm sure you all know, the Garand could not be reloaded until the existing clip in the gun was emptied.

Charleys War was good until it went on to WWII. Lost it a bit for me then.
Was it Johnny Red, the guy who flew a Hurricane with the Russkies on the Eastern Front? I liked him.

Miner said:
The Sarge was great. Anyone else remember when a new guy joined them from the US? He was British but had grown up in the States. He kept going on about how great everything the US made was.
yeah that's right . I remember him pointing to the radio operator and saying something like " In the US army we'd all have walkie talkies . The character I remember most was Unwin the soldier with a mystrious past . I also remember two blokes from the OTC . One was was a toffee nosed toff who'd happily shot Jerries in the back and the other one was a diamond geezer who was one of the boys . The toff was made an officer and the diamond geezer was made a sargeant

Yes Miner Johnny Red was the bloke flying a hurricane for the USSR

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Miner said:
The Sarge was great. Anyone else remember when a new guy joined them from the US? He was British but had grown up in the States. He kept going on about how great everything the US made was. He got blown up & lost all his clothes & his Lee Enfield was damaged. So he dons a conviently dead US soldiers clothes & takes his Garand rifle, which he thinks is the dogs danglies. Up until he gets into a firefight with some Germans & the after using up his clip of ammo the Garand ejects the empty clip, making a noise when it hits the ground. Thus alerting the Germans that he has no bullets in his gun, so they charge before he can reload, & the Sarge comes to his rescue. The Brit/Septic then realises that not all US material is the best, as I'm sure you all know, the Garand could not be reloaded until the existing clip in the gun was emptied.

Was it Johnny Red, the guy who flew a Hurricane with the Russkies on the Eastern Front? I liked him.
Remember it well
Red Redburn also flew a scarlett Mossie in one Summer Speacial
Also Braddock V/C. who I think was based loosely on Gibson V.C.

the_boy_syrup said:
Miner said:

Remember it well
Red Redburn also flew a scarlett Mossie in one Summer Speacial
Also Braddock V/C. who I think was based loosely on Gibson V.C.
Braddock was based on Ivor Broom, who's navigator was also named Broom and there Aircraft was called " The Clean Sweep" they were the crew that skip bombed the raiway tunnel that was on the main supply route during the battle of the bulge

Latest Threads