Battle Back

Just been given the heads up that there's a piece on Radio 4 at 1100 tomorrow morning (25th) and on the BBC 1 News at 6 and 10 tomorrow evening.

I had no idea about this.Hopefully this will explain it to others as well.Good find.

From the MOD site

Introduction

Battle Back is a new Tri-Service initiative which aims to improve and formalise the use of AT and Sport in the aftercare of wounded Service personnel in order to aid their rehabilitation and return to an active life. It was endorsed by the Service Personnel Executive Group (SPEG) on 20 Mar 08. The Army have taken the lead on behalf of Defence, with Headquarters Land Forces (HQ LF) resourcing a co-ordination office in the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre (DMRC) Headley Court from Jul 08.

Background

When first faced with the reality of a disability, many individuals experience a loss of confidence, depression, and believe that their active lives have ended. The sudden, traumatic change in physical ability makes them vulnerable to psychological and emotional stress which can alienate them from their friends and family. The use of Sport or outdoor activities has a proven track record to aid successful physical and psychological rehabilitation, providing the foundation for the development of a positive self-image and outlook on life. AT and Sport offer significant opportunities during the latter stages of rehabilitation and beyond to aid re-integration and confidence building for wounded Service personnel.

Role

Battle Back will:

Identify, facilitate and encourage adaptive AT and Sport opportunities for wounded Service personnel
Develop and strengthen relationships with all relevant Service charities and disabled National Governing Bodies, facilitating appropriate advice to wounded Service personnel and their families regarding all AT and Sport activities
Identify talented disabled Service personnel and facilitate access to elite sporting opportunities and challenging Level 3 AT expeditions
Advertise and promote adaptive AT and Sport opportunities both internally to wounded individuals and the chain of command, and externally to national media, charities etc
Develop and maintain an in depth understanding of disabled Defence policy, and subsequently inform/advise policymakers in relation to AT and Sport activities as appropriate

I'm wondering where Fred's Scouse accent has gone. Fair play to him!

Cracking article. Liked Tom's take on the slalom!!

The choice of BBC Security Correspondent Frank Gardner to present the programme could have been corny, but in fact was an inspired choice. I hope he enjoyed doing it: sounded like he did.

and bump.

Great stuff.
Well done to FH and everyone else involved!

I'm wondering where Fred's Scouse accent has gone. Fair play to him!

JD, I was thinking the same perhaps it was coached out of him on his CO Des course! :)

hackle said:
The choice of BBC Security Correspondent Frank Gardner to present the programme could have been corny, but in fact was an inspired choice. I hope he enjoyed doing it: sounded like he did.

and bump.
It was a bit of a shame that they couldn't find a cameraman capable of keeping up with Mr Gardner.... :D

...watch the clip on BBC1 tonight!

Litotes

ugly

LE
Just watched the 6 oclock and it was ok!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Military History and Militaria 13
E Officers 13
W Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4