Battle Back

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jack-daniels, Mar 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been given the heads up that there's a piece on Radio 4 at 1100 tomorrow morning (25th) and on the BBC 1 News at 6 and 10 tomorrow evening.
  2. I had no idea about this.Hopefully this will explain it to others as well.Good find.

From the MOD site

Battle Back is a new Tri-Service initiative which aims to improve and formalise the use of AT and Sport in the aftercare of wounded Service personnel in order to aid their rehabilitation and return to an active life. It was endorsed by the Service Personnel Executive Group (SPEG) on 20 Mar 08. The Army have taken the lead on behalf of Defence, with Headquarters Land Forces (HQ LF) resourcing a co-ordination office in the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre (DMRC) Headley Court from Jul 08.

When first faced with the reality of a disability, many individuals experience a loss of confidence, depression, and believe that their active lives have ended. The sudden, traumatic change in physical ability makes them vulnerable to psychological and emotional stress which can alienate them from their friends and family. The use of Sport or outdoor activities has a proven track record to aid successful physical and psychological rehabilitation, providing the foundation for the development of a positive self-image and outlook on life. AT and Sport offer significant opportunities during the latter stages of rehabilitation and beyond to aid re-integration and confidence building for wounded Service personnel.

Battle Back will:

Identify, facilitate and encourage adaptive AT and Sport opportunities for wounded Service personnel
    Develop and strengthen relationships with all relevant Service charities and disabled National Governing Bodies, facilitating appropriate advice to wounded Service personnel and their families regarding all AT and Sport activities
    Identify talented disabled Service personnel and facilitate access to elite sporting opportunities and challenging Level 3 AT expeditions
    Advertise and promote adaptive AT and Sport opportunities both internally to wounded individuals and the chain of command, and externally to national media, charities etc
    Develop and maintain an in depth understanding of disabled Defence policy, and subsequently inform/advise policymakers in relation to AT and Sport activities as appropriate
  3. Cheers for that. Bad admin on my part for not explaining what it was about.
  4. Bump for this the morning.
  5. You will be able to listen to it again here :

It is on top of the "Listen again" List, but not active yet.
  6. Bump - on Radio 4 now
  7. I'm wondering where Fred's Scouse accent has gone. Fair play to him!

Cracking article. Liked Tom's take on the slalom!!
  8. For those that missed it it's worth listening to.
  9. It is - and it needs more publicity. and support
  10. I thought the title was "Battling Back"?

It was an interesting and thought provoking porgramme.

11. This article on the BBC website

Amputee Veterans Battling Back

I don't think it's been posted yet, but there's some great examples of banter amongst the attendees :D

"I went to Afghanistan and all I got was this lousy false leg."

Have a gander at this lads. Saw it on the BBC website, noticed it was done by the Battle Back programme. Just astounding the way the guys can bounce back like this.

Hats off to Cpl Neathway, here's wishing him well.
  13. The choice of BBC Security Correspondent Frank Gardner to present the programme could have been corny, but in fact was an inspired choice. I hope he enjoyed doing it: sounded like he did.

and bump.
  14. Great stuff.
    Well done to FH and everyone else involved!

I'm wondering where Fred's Scouse accent has gone. Fair play to him!

JD, I was thinking the same perhaps it was coached out of him on his CO Des course! :)