Battery Nicknames

Good to have you back mountain_git :lol:
Hows life up their in bonnie scotland?
I do recall there use to be alot of Pad Sha##ing going on in Hemswell, He He and a few were a right load of slappers. Come to think of it they were all down Scunny in Henry Africas come pay day for the Lads 8)

Always used to refer to 9 Bty as the senior air defence battery in the universe

dance_with_the_devil said:
Good to have you back mountain_git :lol:
Hows life up their in bonnie scotland?
I do recall there use to be alot of Pad Sha##ing going on in Hemswell, He He and a few were a right load of slappers. Come to think of it they were all down Scunny in Henry Africas come pay day for the Lads 8)
Someone should start a Hemswell thread. ;)

53 (handbag ) bty after a couple of gunners were found in bed together,checking out eachothers bores,cleaned up with a bit of rifle rag.

11 (Sphinx) Bty

1984 - when it was the only Bty equipped with Tracked Rapier:

"Crack Track Flak"

I think the then BC made that up, but it was picked up by the gunpark for a year or two....

P Bty - The Dragon Troop 5 Heavy RA
became 'The Troop in Drag'. Still are apparently

145 (Maiwand) Commando Bty known as 'ein feer funf' or the 'penal battalion' when moved to Arbroath.
8 (Alma) Commando Bty was 'black 8' because of cordite stainss on their faces which apparantly they never cleared
79 ( Kirkee) Commando Bty 'Sunshine' as they never saw any winter war fare training and were based in Malta early 70's

G Parachute Bty (Mercers Troop) - Gay Mercers
Must have been a name adopted when 'gay' meant 'happy' No chutney ferrets in in the ranks there mate!

Having served with the mighty J may I fulfill Von_Paulus' witty dittyin its correctness!

J, J, Sidi Rezegh, Shiny D, Lazy C.

Apologies to all if incorrect and that D and C are changed around but as attached I truly felt a part of the Battery....J Bty Tiffy.

Did a stint in J.

It went: J, J Sidi Rezegh, pride and joy of the RHA

Then I found a grown ups unit in Mercers where we didn't have to pack yer Army plimsoles & PT kit in yer active edge 'Large' pack and didn't have to bull yer toe caps for Wednesday mornings when ON EXERCISE IN SOLTAU!

Standfast said:
Must have been a name adopted when 'gay' meant 'happy' No chutney ferrets in in the ranks there mate!
No it wasn't. Means exactly what it says after an incident in the Battery bar in the Traz. When a drunk gunner Se******ni was caught inflagrante with a passed out member (pun intended) of Mercers in his hand.

civvygit said:
Standfast said:
No it wasn't. Means exactly what it says after an incident in the Battery bar in the Traz. When a drunk gunner Se******ni was caught inflagrante with a passed out member (pun intended) of Mercers in his hand.
Well blow me! (pun unintended). Spent 9 years there. Never heard that one. You must be Yellow Dog or Bulls!

Standfast said:
civvygit said:
Standfast said:
Well blow me! (pun unintended). Spent 9 years there. Never heard that one. You must be Yellow Dog or Bulls!
I have got the whole set except Mercers.

i've heard 4/73 (sphinx) special op bty by fondly named- 'special needs bty', 'harry bty' and '90210 bty' or the old classic 'cowboys'. not sure which is the official one, i think the first as being a serving member i do need 24hr nursing care!