Battery Nicknames

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Crazy_FOO said:
Quite. Despite my earlier slip of the pen, the A/E combination (which dates back to the North African desert) has always worked, leaving "super" B a bit left out.
And they're quite welcome to their 'combination'... :D

Super B, Super B, Super B...
Mixing the "Nuts" with "Shiny E" always works.

Could you imagine what would happen if you mixed the Chestnut Troop with Bravo Bty?? It would make people turn in their graves!

GBTD

K (Hondeghem)Bty given the nickname Shiney by the King when it was Kings Troop in the 1930's.

Cuddles.I did a year with 266 in 1974,we use to say"Gods Venerable Artillery"

Manky_Cat said:
156 Bty used to be known as the 2 headed shite hawks, 22 bty where the down hill gunners and P Bty are the manky cats
wellyhead said:
I was in an Inkerman Bty nad everyone called us the Shitehawks, not sure that official though :wink:
hmmm downhill gunners or uphill gardeners :p

I'll get me coat

Crazy_FOO said:
Wellyhead- where did you get that awesome G Force pic?!
I wish I could wax lyrical about searching the ends of the earth for it, however the truth was I was on Google Images looking for a pic of Darth Vader for my son and that popped up

Also I used to have the theme to Battle of the Planets as my ring tone

I know sad isn't it

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Crazy_FOO said:
Quite. Despite my earlier slip of the pen, the A/E combination (which dates back to the North African desert) has always worked, leaving "super" B a bit left out.
And they're quite welcome to their 'combination'... :D

Super B, Super B, Super B...
When BC B Battery broke down in front of HM Queen in 1984(?) Several people commented that this was the latest evidence why it was "Boggy B"

easymoney said:
Cuddles.I did a year with 266 in 1974,we use to say"Gods Venerable Artillery"
A 266 Bty OP party fetched up at a reserve bridge demolition some years back. The party included a couple of Gunner badged GVA, a REME badged lad and a couple of odds and sods who had come to make up their MTDs. No one in the party was under the rank of Sgt. One of the bridge guard seeing all of these wierd and wonderful badges spilling out of the back of a 432 put 2 and 2 together and asked "What's the GVA mate?" "Golf Five Alpha, need to know mate..."

25/170 (Imjin) were known as Bingo

I seem to remember 21 never liked been called Air maybe

During a dire period in Osnabruck in the late 70's I Bty (Bull's Troop) were affectionately known as I Penal Bty (correct spelling).

This was on account of the amount of junior ranks (20 ish) that were either awol or recently back from being awol and keeping the guardroom staff in a job.

They were all awol because the BSM at the time was barking and such an outstanding man manager.

Evening entertainment was blasting out the great escape theme from the block windows while they were being beasted/drilled by the ROS after guard mount.

Whats all this Battery nickname thing??? ... dont they go into torches, walkmans and mp3's etce....

Can't remember the nickname for paddies fav flying torch batteries, remember those?.... :mrgreen:

Ok ok.... I'll get me coat .....

old_gun said:
L (Nearly) Battery. Nearly let them all out of the Maze Prison
Not just L, N was there as well.

One oldish soldier managed to shoot an escapee in the leg.

Well done says the Colonel, damn fine shooting.

Gunner: " I was aiming for his head Sir!!!!!"

ExBQMS : you may like to tidy this story up a bit :)

Pteranadon said:
When BC B Battery broke down in front of HM Queen in 1984(?) Several people commented that this was the latest evidence why it was "Boggy B"
It was 1984 - and a trying time for all with a dozen Razzmen roaming around as a mob (what is the collective noun for RA RSMs?)gripping everyone left right and centre. Enough to make even a BC cry :D :D :D

32 jam butty battery and 14 handbag battery.
I dont know why 14 was called the handbag battery (although I can guess)
but 32 got that nickname in the early 80s whilst on exercise, some general turned up to inspect a Rapier posistion and the sentry was chomping on a jam butty.

The WO in charge in 84 (Queens parade in Dortmund)was the GSM later BC 1st Bty.I don't remember packs of RSM's roaming around,though you are speaking from an RHA perspective which might explain the need for a lot of overseeing by said mob of razzmans.We were generally left alone until the setting up of the avenue of guns,must of been something to do with our capbadges not being brooche's. Just having a laugh honest!!!!