• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Battery Nicknames

8 (Alma) Bty is known as the Black 8 I believe

I was in an Inkerman Bty nad everyone called us the Shitehawks, not sure that official though :wink:

Did a stint as TA Inf on S Type engagement with 132 Bty whose motif is a bengal tiger playing with a fecking firework - dangerous shit that, even for tigers!!

OP_ACK said:
Thanks Guys, Welly-Head which Inkerman Battery was that?

Thanks again
The one that didn't have guns

8 (Alma) Cdo Light Battery is known as 'Black 8' because at the battle of Alma, the guns were fired so often that the gunners faces turned black with unburnt powder.

O Battery (was in 2nd Regiment) was known as the Rocket Troop (a link with one of the Sharpe episodes). Wellington hated the rockets and when he was forced to send troops to the American campaign in 1812 got rid of them. The line in the American anthem 'The Rockets Red Glare' refers to the activities of this troop - very useful against large, static targets, useless otherwise.

I remember hearing a delightful song being sung last year:

"I would rather be in E Bty than B." Bought a tear to my eye!!!

The mighty Chestnut Troop are known by wannabees are "Clagnuts" (mainly from other Btys in 1 RHA) but by the well informed as "Chestnut" or "The Nuts."

GBTD

Crazy_FOO said:
Darth_Doctrinus said:
Crazy_FOO said:
E Bty (The Checkerboard W*****rs)
Wrong battery, maybe?
Doh! Of course B Bty were the Checkerborad W*****s. The other gun battery was known as Egg Battery.

Knob Head!!!!

And since when have the boys from "Super B" been known as that?

goatbagthedruid said:
I remember hearing a delightful song being sung last year:

"I would rather be in E Bty than B." Bought a tear to my eye!!!

The mighty Chestnut Troop are known by wannabees are "Clagnuts" (mainly from other Btys in 1 RHA) but by the well informed as "Chestnut" or "The Nuts."

GBTD
GBTD,

I seem to remember you actually being in "Super B" standbye, standbye........

Gmonster said:
Crazy_FOO said:
Darth_Doctrinus said:
Crazy_FOO said:
Wrong battery, maybe?
Doh! Of course B Bty were the Checkerborad W*****s. The other gun battery was known as Egg Battery.

Knob Head!!!!

They were known as the Checkerboard Wank3rs since before I joined the Army in 89!

Dread said:
Gmonster said:
Crazy_FOO said:
Darth_Doctrinus said:
Crazy_FOO said:
Wrong battery, maybe?

Knob Head!!!!

They were known as the Checkerboard Wank3rs since before I joined the Army in 89!
Quite. Despite my earlier slip of the pen, the A/E combination (which dates back to the North African desert) has always worked, leaving "super" B a bit left out.

Crazy_FOO said:
Quite. Despite my earlier slip of the pen, the A/E combination (which dates back to the North African desert) has always worked, leaving "super" B a bit left out.
And they're quite welcome to their 'combination'... :D

Super B, Super B, Super B...

266 Battery were sometimes known as "Golf Five Alpha"....as in "What's the GVA mate?" "Golf five alpha, need to know..."