Battalion CO Injured

My kind of leader out front with the troops. Prayers for a speedy recovery LTC Richmond.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...iban-is-most-senior-Afghanistan-casualty.html

A battalion commander has been shot in the leg during an operation in Afghanistan, becoming the most senior British officer injured in action in the country.

Lieutenant Colonel David Richmond, Commanding Officer of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland, was leading an operation near Musa Qaleh in Helmand Province on Thursday when he was hit by a Taliban bullet.

It is understood that the 41-year-old was caught "out in the open" during an engagement with enemy forces. He was airlfted straight to a field hospital.

The Ministry of Defence refused to comment on how serious his injury is.

But despite receiving treatment in Afghanistan, he is due to be flown back to Britain for further medical attention at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham.

I hope he has a rapid recovery, if he is anything like the Jocks that I served with it's just going to make him more angry.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Well done for getting stuck in that man! I hope your recovery is swift.

A Leader to look up to.

I hope you are watching LIEbour and all our so called leaders. I hope you hang your heads in shame.

On a posative note I wish you a speady recovery Sir.

I never thought I'd find myself wanting to buy a woopert a pint, but he's changed that. 8O

Nice one and speedy recovery, Sir. :salut:

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Not realy a nice one (he is one of our guys after all) but good job getting stuck in.

That's a CO for you, lead by example. Get well soon

BigT said:
I hope he has a rapid recovery, if he is anything like the Jocks that I served with it's just going to make him more angry.
More than one Battalion of 'em. IIRC, Dave was originally RHF - they're out there too!

Here's to a quick recovery!

Now I bet he'll get rapped on the knucked by the MOD, like the SF CO for being on the front line.... in my opinion, he's leading by example and an inspiration to his men. Pints up.

ICShiiteJobs said:
Here's to a quick recovery!

Now I bet he'll get rapped on the knuckles by the MOD, like the SF CO for being on the front line.... in my opinion, he's leading by example and an inspiration to his men. Pints up.
Hear hear to all the above!
We need more, not fewer, officers who are willing to lead from the front!

I have nothing but the highest respect for Col Tootal. Man is a legend... full-stop.

As eluded to above, the army needs more Officers willing to get out there on the line.... unfortunately there are more than enough officers willing to try find reasons to stop those willing. I speak from personel experience here... its a tough call to ignore those telling you that you may not go out and taking it into your own hands, ignoring orders and getting out there on the line with the lads....

Man, I know I retired from the army a long time ago and things have changed but tell me when did officers stop leading their troops (re: ICSJ's comment)?

BigT said:
"Ho - shoot me ya cnut?! Yer gettin' it, baw-bag!" :twisted:

Get well soon, sir! :salut:

BD, i'm refering specifically to non-inf YOs... i saw it first hand where YOs were not being allowed out onto the line with their troops. The reason are often banded around are 'the job doesn't require them to go out of camp' and one i personally was given back in the day... 'we don't want to put you in harms way... its too dangerous...' <-------- WHAT!? Yeah that actually happened.

And then hours later a female loggie YO was sent out leading her convoy in Sangin.... unbelievable.

I don't see how 'in-barracks' these YO's build up their credit by carrying out their day to day by leading from the front and the minute they get out on ops they are confined to a camp whilst their soldiers are expected to go out on patrols daily and live out in the FOBs..... what happened to the old 'dont ask your soldiers to do anything you wouldn't do yourself'?

considering that on herrick the vast majority of corps have troops on the ground...

Maybe thats why Corps such as the R SIGS are experiencing one of the worst/highest rates of PVR at the moment.... last I heard there was a junior capt handling captains careers up in Glasgow... (that used to be a majors job).....

Get well soon Sir,
Sadly,with the way Liebour are running our Armed Forces into ground,more good career officers & SNCO's as wel l as experienced junior ranks will be leaving.
It's these people we need to retain,now more than ever.
But with Broon & Co (mis)leading this country it's only matter of time before our manpower reaches dangerously low levels,resulting in more frequent deployments.