BATS

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Muttley, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge induced thread:

Have heard the rumour that BATS are leaving in droves, anyone shed any truth on the matter?

2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Depends on unit.

A lot of AH techs have had enough with constant tours, ever-extended working hours, 7Bn Pulse line that is a farce, and generally being seen off day in, day out. There is only so much you can take before you quit, everyone has a breaking point - and a lot of Bats have reached it.

Work hard play hard? Now its work hard, work harder, work the weekend, and don't play.

I'm bound to get the usual comments about being workshy, loyalty to the army, corps etc etc - but if you don't want to hear the answer then dont ask the fcuking question.

If i wasn't in the pension trap i'd be off like a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Also heard that FRI might be swinging your way, will it be enough to tempt people?

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Possibly, the usual quick fix is to throw a couple of quid at it, and pretend it's all rosy.

Will it work on an overworked, stretched force? Results are still happening, the lads are grafting bloody hard. But when its got to the point when crew chief's are on sick leave through stress (i'm not kidding), divorces are happening all over because "You're at work that much you might as well be on tour" (and then you DO go on tour), constant (closer) moving goalposts (you know the score, work your nuts off to finish a cab 2 weeks early, then get told that "you did it once, you can do it every time")
    etc etc, and it gets a bit much sometimes.

It doesn't help when SNCO's are asked their opinion on all this, and when we state our concerns we either get the party line thrown back at us, or the DEME equivalent of putting their fingers in their ears and going "Lalalalalalala".

Give it 12 to 18 months, when all these sign-offs have actually left, and they might actually acknowledge they have a serious Bat shortage.

As for a FRI - Anyone that toughs it out for the duration in this current operational tempo deserves one, and a bloody good one

5. Couldn't have put it better myself, Fuggers. And dont even get me started on this LEAN thing thats meant to be coming in. Why should we continue being shafted when we could get out and be earning a grand a week tax free as a fitter.......in fact hang on a minute thats a bloody good question. Someone pass me a pen!
    S**t, forgot about the pension thing... oh well, gurss I'll just have to griss it through.
    Duty rumour hot off the press,
    No1 30 odd techs from Dishforth have signed off
    No2 They're going to re-introduce tech to stop 'em going.

6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I don't blame the lads in the slightest for doing one at the moment.

I cannot think of a single incentive for them to stay to be honest. LEAN and pulse line are murdering 7Bat, and the constant ops rotations are murdering the Regts. Plus 7Bat also support the Regts on ops constantly as well.

To your average Bat, sport and AT are a thing of myth. Quality sports players I know have given up playing for the regt/Bn because getting released from work is too much of a nightmare - even if you are a Corps level player you're looked at worse than Ian Huntley if you dare ask to go to training.

No doubt some top-corridor type is going to spout off soon, saying we should be commited to the job, you joined the army so do the work, etc etc, but i'm afraid that just doesn't cut it at the moment.

Bats are working their nuts off. Day in, day out, weekends, through leave. There is only so many times we can just accept a "thanks for all the hard work. Pat on the back. Now - sorry, but here's your next task. We need it 'S' by Sunday". It doesn't seem to end at the moment.

Bring back some of the perks of the job. Give the lads a break when they deserve it. Stop saying "yes sir, no problem" all the time just because its CR time. If you ask a serious question, be prepared to accept a serious reasoned answer - don't just fcuk it off.

Something serious is brewing within the Batcave, and DEME are basically hiding under a pile of coats and hoping everything will work out OK.

Time will tell, but I know what i've got my money on.

7. Get your class 1, study for CAA exam and get out while still young.
    john
    I did the opposite, 23 then CAA exams, its easier when your still a lad.

8. But 7 Bat seem ok, had a friend there until recently whom had naafi breaks, sports afternoons and the like just as the bats always had. They even close shop at 12 on a friday I'm led to believe.

9. I am sure there are people at the Bn who still get time off for sport, I doubt if they are the Cpls/Sgts from the pulse lines though.

We are constantly asking more, from less people. That is army wide and obviously does not just affect aviation. We need to reduce Ops (not support to Ops though) and retain the troops we have.

Tony blair, over to you :frustrated:

10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

That went out the window about a year ago

11. So they just don't bother on Fridays now?

12. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Or Monday mornings.

In Bizarro world.

13. Just heard (Don't quote me) that 24 Bats from wattisham are in London today on the lash with the Chelsea Pensioners. Now thats a sure sign of being overworked!

14. Apache is only involved in one Op. Surely if we reduce that are we now saying we can't do any Ops?

BATS in London, that'll go down well in the present climate then!

15. Your quite right Beaker, a mutual friend of ours is less than impressed if you know what I mean!