Bathroom sound system

I don't really know if this is DIY or not, so I plumped for this forum.

We're in the process of renovating our main bathroom and I want to install a relatively decent sound system. I'm quite happy with the various speaker systems on offer and have picked out a few options, some wired, some bluetooth (Hedging my bets).

What I can't decide is what to use as the main source. I want to listen to the radio and stream music, while my wife wants to be able to play her playlists and mp3 collection. The obvious choice (which to some degree is also future-proof and it can be replaced) is a tablet, perhaps a small one.

As I'm in Germany, power in the bathroom is not an issue and we have a number of sockets.

Do any of you have any bright ideas about which tablet might be best suited to the task, or even suggestions for another solution to this requirement?

It doesn't need to be of a high IP spec as the room is well-ventilated and moisture will not be a real issue.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
a waterproof one. **nods**

;)

I just take an Anker Bluetooth speaker in and play stuff from my phone or from the Alexa.

Works well for me.....

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Second vote of confidence for Amazon Alexa.

Added benefit of not having to press any buttons with wet hands, can be operated from the bath etc.

Probably wouldn’t even need to bother with any other speakers. The sound out of them is pretty good as is.

I would just take in the iPad
Might sound daft, but when we had our bath put in, we got the bath taps spaced so they wouldn’t block the view of an iPad which could rest behind them

If I need any sounds in the bathroom, I just hum to myself.
Why TF would anybody want a sound system in there?
How much time do people actually spend in the bathroom today. Not long enough to listen to the first side of Atom Heart Mother I`d wager.

If I need any sounds in the bathroom, I just hum to myself.
Why TF would anybody want a sound system in there?
How much time do people actually spend in the bathroom today. Not long enough to listen to the first side of Atom Heart Mother I`d wager.
it's something I've got used to in the morning; listening the radio that is. My wife also likes playing music when she's in the bath.

From what I've read over the last few days, my preferred option is a 7" tablet, which ill fix to the wall in a holder, and a good quality bluetooth speaker sunk into the wall.. There are loads of apps for tablets, such as TuneIn and Spotify, that mean we can both listen to what we want.

Our bathroom is pretty big, sort of like a small spa, so you don't mind taking your time in there.

In addition to the iPads we have a airport express into a speaker outside the bathroom.
iPhone streams the music or more normally radio 4 there, you can here it in the bathroom
As I mentioned in another post we are retiring early and moving abroad and as such, most of our tech is portable

Slime

LE
I use an iphone for music or radio, either with or without a blutooth speaker.
For tv/programmes I use an Ipad.

Both mean that either device can come with me into or out of the bathroom so there is continuity, this is especially useful for radio as the radio from broadband is quite out of sink with normal radio.

I use an iphone for music or radio, either with or without a blutooth speaker.
For tv/programmes I use an Ipad.

Both mean that either device can come with me into or out of the bathroom so there is continuity, this is especially useful for radio as the radio from broadband is quite out of sink with normal radio.
That's the underlying logic, but a small tablet is considerably cheaper than any Apple device. As I live in Germany any UK radio, which is what I listen to in the morning, is streamed anyway so synching (or not) is not a real issue.

In addition to the iPads we have a airport express into a speaker outside the bathroom.
iPhone streams the music or more normally radio 4 there, you can here it in the bathroom
As I mentioned in another post we are retiring early and moving abroad and as such, most of our tech is portable

I understand portable very well. My aim is to have a system that can be readily updated as technology improves, rather than portability. Another reason why a cheap tablet is better.

Second vote of confidence for Amazon Alexa.

Added benefit of not having to press any buttons with wet hands, can be operated from the bath etc.

Probably wouldn’t even need to bother with any other speakers. The sound out of them is pretty good as is.

Hi

Can i ask which one of them is the best to buy? I am new to all of these but want one to use for my music

TIA

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi

Can i ask which one of them is the best to buy? I am new to all of these but want one to use for my music

TIA

I’ve just got the bog standard one with built in speaker. I think it was about 120 quid.

Does the job.

Boney2728

War Hero
I’ve just got the bog standard one with built in speaker. I think it was about 120 quid.

Does the job.

Second this or if you do not want the big version then the dot with an Anker BT Speaker also works well. Amazon now have second generation Echo's about to be released soon and I believe that for the standard one, the price will have dropped significantly.

Not into the connectivity thing, but despite ventilation bathrooms ares still damp places. Have a look at some small boat chandlery websites for 100% waterproof speakers, fit and forget, some are quite pretty.

Not into the connectivity thing, but despite ventilation bathrooms ares still damp places. Have a look at some small boat chandlery websites for 100% waterproof speakers, fit and forget, some are quite pretty.
There are some pretty good >IP44 options, that are more than enough for a bathroom.