Bathroom Mould

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Taffd, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For years I've thought it was virtually impossible, or prohibitively expensive, to get rid of black mould from around baths, and from tile grout.

It is in fact, it's a piece of piss.

All it takes is bleach. Specifically bleach that contains sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite.

Simply spray on, using a cheapo spray bottle, and leave, periodically checking to see if it's cleared. Occasionally it'll need a few applications. Then rinse off with fresh water.

The mould actually disappears. Doesn't run off into a puddle of mould or anything, it just disappears.

It's fuckin' magic.
  2. Any brand names to save me looking? Only cos I is idle.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Go into your nearest Aldi/Lidl. Buy the cheapest bleach they sell. (They used to have a gallon for £0.99, but they had run out, last time I wanted some. Best price I've seen is £0.99 for a litre of thick bleach). Or go online and look for "Janitorial Suppliers" in your area. These people sell the basic cleaning chemicals to Nursing Homes and such. Or Tesco's "Value" range. All bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite, the Sodium Hydroxide is to keep it stable.

Health & Safety cry-baby warnings: Don't get it on your hands, NaOH turns skin into soap; don't mix with acid bath/shower cleaners, or you will start making Chlorine gas - the original war gas - and not only will you possibly kill yourself, but the local Police will over-react and evacuate the entire street, then possibly extradite you to the USA as a suspected terrorist.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Just make sure you check it VERY frequently - neat bleach can damage the tiles themselves, especially if there has been a cut edge and the glaze is weakened. I find cif (kitchen, grease remover type) works just as well as bleach.
  5. That's 'cos a lot of kitchen cleaners contain bleach!

If you want to buy kitchen cleaners, don't pay for Mr Muscle, go to the aforementioned Janitorial Suppliers. The equivalent of Dettox costs 5p per litre.
  6. Bleach is good. Fungicides might kill the bio slime that causes it. Polycell Mould Killer is good.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. If you can get a big-ish bottle of it Isopropyl is a brilliant bacterial/anti fungal.
  8. Yes, but it's too valuable for that. It's much better used as a superb window-cleaner. Get it as a "high-alcohol window-cleaner" from Chemical Express - it's called "Reflexion", fantastic stuff; it's 97% isopropyl alcohol, great cleaner for all computery things, from the screens to the keyboard, won't damage anything and it evaporates afterwards.

Now, if you need to use alcohol for that purpose, then use meths.
  9. Meths is no good, it will turn the grout pink because of the coloured addative in it.
  10. Non-serious reply - then use bleach afterwards!

Serious reply - OK thanks, that's a good point. Isopropyl is still too good to waste, though. Bleach is dirt cheap. I am always amazed why people spend so much on expensive cleaners, when the cheap stuff contains exactly the same products; just have to make sure you get the correct strength.

Another tip = use 15% (by weight) sodium hydroxide in your dishwasher mixed with water (NOT for HAND-DISHWASHING). Wizard stuff. Much better than the tablets. Don't get it on your hands or in your eyes, under any circumstances, though.
  11. Isopropyl is just as cheap if you get it from the right place.
  12. Isopropyl is best used as a vinyl record cleaner :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. KFC hand wipes are unique in still being Isopropyl, so fill your pockets and keep them handy for cleaning stuff, I keep my cycling glasses clean with them.
  14. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Cleaning? Bathroom mould? Cleaning products? SERIOUSLY?? CLEANING???

You all just lost your man-cards. Hand them over.
  15. What is this record of which you speak?