Bathroom extractor fan

Discussion in 'DIY' started by msr, Dec 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Dear All,

I need an extractor fan for a bathroom in a house I am refurbishing. I am after one which has electric opening and closing vents, rather than just a louvre.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

m-s-r

2. Eat fewer beans.

3. I've fitted several Manrose and Vent Axia fans in the past and had no bad feedback from them, haven't seen any with electric shutters though, never been asked for or needed.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I've fitted the fancy shutter type in kitchens and bathrooms they work pretty well vented ceiling or wall and wired into the switch. can't remember if they did a humidity one. they weren't electric shutters but a fancy piston brake to stop them from clacking open and closed.

most bathroom fans you can have open vents at either end but can stick a butterfly in the pipe to stop blowback or howling. not sure about the one picketdriver put up as it looks a bit cheap and has to go mid pipe.

5. You don't need a new fan (unless it is dead), you just need a back draft damper.

6. B&Q is your friend!

7. As the chap above said, use COULD use a backdraft damper, but these work best (sometimes only) with inline or centrifugal fans.

You could check out these bathroom extractor fans, as they have an auto shutter.

Or these? They have an inbuilt backdraft shutter.

Momandaroman

8. No they're not, bunch of conning bastards who employ people with the IQ of a rotten lettuce to work on the shop floor and 'advise' people...