BATCO via SMS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PartTimePongo, Jun 4, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't fall over laughing I'm serious.  ;D

If Batco could be made to work in it's present form , encrypted via SMS or EMS text messages via mobile or PDA , would it be an application worthy of consideration?

If not, why not

If yes, why yes? etc etc

PTP

2. 3E WTV JP NC DE IK SWQ ZR 3S QST XO over

3. Hang on, I'll get me Nokia  ;D Oh bugger, I'd have to write the programme first, errrr which page we on, oh shag , now me pencils broke. Better do a PDA version first - ;)

4. Why not buy the cellphone (manufacturer escapes me) with in-built encryption rated to NATO Secret and just talk to your oppo ?  See trade journals for the ads (AFCEA journal is where I saw it).  

Let's face it, BATCO is crapper than a crap thing that has just graduated from Oxford with a post-graduate qualification in crap studies.  Will the enemy really pause for 5 minutes to let you get off a BATCO contact report - I think not.  The sooner we bin it the better.  

5. A BATCO contact report????

Do it in clear, they know where you are!! :eek:

6. dont see why not but knowing the army the mobile will be bigger than the plt radio

7. PtP.....really its just sad...but something I would have expected the TA to come up with.  Lets face it who really would use a batco edition for text messages?  Come on guys only a real saddo military nut...the type you would expect to see prowling the streets in combats "protecting the local populace"....

8. PtP, have you been drinking?  Texting BATCO from a mobile via SMS?  Next you'll suggest sending morse via microwave link.

9. The basic premise, bearing in mind the mobile is becoming increasingly more powerful, was a secure means for transmission of data. BATCO is not the best example, just an illustration, of sending coded transmissons via another means.

Now Benfon are a biggish scandiwegian Telecoms company , but even there solution has to be operator enabled. Our isn't. It's an operator independent solution, and it works.

10. I was under the impression that project Bowman will supply secure comms down to section level - maybe i'm wrong. A secure system to send SMS would be fine and dandy until you patrol out of the Orange footprint - or we could do it via satellite, then the equipment probably would end up bigger than the platoon radio.

11. ---

12. This is the equipment currently being offered by one manufacturer.

http://www.gd-decisionsystems.com/sectera/talksecurewireline/main.html

I know this because I got an e-mail yesterday, along the lines of "Our people should talk to your people"  ;D

So no, BATCO isn't the best application, there isn't any need, when we can do encrypted menu cards which we're working on now. ;)

13. GSM is actually relatively secure in it's own right.

Beyond the capabilites of backyard operators for the most part anyhow and certainly more secure than the £20 PMR sets from Argos that more than a few people have taken to using in the absence of issued PRR

14. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Your havin a larf aint u  :-/

15. Nope,

Yer average arse with a scanner can't eavesdrop on yer convo via GSM.
    I'd say there are relatively few NGO's who can (your milage may vary).

Depends on who wants to listen in....