Bastille Day

Pffft. Mere setbacks.
Remind me now WHO WON WW2 again.

it wasn't me,. I wasn't there. The world was already ****** up when I got here

WE did not beat the Japanese, we fought a long, hard campaign and retook Burma and were about to invade Malaya. The Americans retook most of the Pacific islands (at great cost) and were about to invade Japan when the dropping of the Atom bombs rendered it unnecessary. The Russians, although they joined late, also had considerable successes. It is not widely known that throughout the war in the Far East, most of the Japanese Army was in China. And WE did not win WW2, we just happened to end up on the winning side.

Watched the parade this morning on telly, very impressed with all the troops, drill, professionalism but most of all the new 416 rifle.
Sadly it later turned into a spin fest with the health service on parade, scruffy fcukers.
Not a tie amongst them, apart from a couple of doctors.

But overall, a good parade to get people proud of their own country again.

We should perhaps get some nurses and doctors practising now for the next Trooping of the Colour?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Watched the parade this morning on telly, very impressed with all the troops, drill, professionalism but most of all the new 416 rifle.
Well you've answered the question - the usual parades went ahead in France ?

And now pretty much everyone is the wrong side of at least a bottle of pinot noir ?

This time next year.....

And now pretty much everyone is the wrong side of at least a bottle of pinot noir ?
This time next year.....
Normally our village has a large picnic by the communal lake, bar and barbecues etc then fireworks at 11pm but that was all cancelled back in April.
Fireworks displays nationally cancelled except for Paris and no local parades at all, military or otherwise round here.
The one I watched on telly had no audience, just invited ministers and dip staff, was very space aware and the troops were in very open order throughout.
Yahoo news had some good photos of it.

The next challenge will be the policing of the Tour de France next month, all 3,500 kms of it.

This time next year.....
We have a house in the Charente Maritme and we always try to get down at the end of June then catch the Bastille Day parade on French TV (it is on all channels), and is always a good show. Then there is usually something going on in the village or the area in the evening. Unfortunately gone for a ball of chalk this year and are booked to go down in mid-August - pity. We watched it on France 24 but the silly bint insisted on talking over the band when they were playing the troops on - reminded me of the BBC coverage of the Edinburgh Tattoo when the commentator thinks that their prattle is more important than the music.