Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Im_the_Mummy, Apr 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone been to recently or currently at Bassinbourne as a junior entry that could tell me a bit about it as the army web site is not very comprehensive about this training base compared to Harrogate.

Trying to help my son make an informed opinion.

2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bassingbourne, as well as being set in some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain, has the most experienced and wisest instructors of any training unit. The accomodation is second to none, the staff friendly, helpful and well-informed. The recruits that come here regard it as the best time of their lives, ever. Nothing will ever surpass the experience.

Not that I am biased by being here.
  3. I needed some of this info to as I will be heading there in September hopefully :D
  4. Al_PacinO, go to Harrogate instead :wink:
  5. I was there in 1972, it seems like yesterday!!
  6. ... or watch Full Metal Jacket! plenty of Bassingbourne in there
  7. I passed out of there over a year ago. I'm so glad that I don't have to go back there. It's a mental struggle, early mornings, bullshit.. So much bullshit that's pointless beyond relief.
  8. Nightrained:

Can you quantify pointless please? Did you do Phase 1 as a junior entry there?

9. I think you'll all find its Bassingbourn without the 'e'.
    And everyone thinks phase 1 is pointless beyond belief, give youself another year and you'll look back and laugh about it.
  10. Is that possible as I will be training to be a Royal Engineer :D
  11. If you go to Harrogate you have quite a few job choices and Royal Engineers is one of them.

12. Ha, I went through in 1996, seems like this morning just after breakfast!

Best time of my life, truly! "Im the mummy" tell your boy that he will find it emotional, educational and massively enjoyable (when he looks back at it in 11 years). He will enter a boy and leave a man, all be it a young man.

Best of luck to him he will enter an admirable trade no matter what capbadge.

13. Nightrained how you got out of bassingbourn without passing a PFT is beyond me