BASSIGNBOURN? ANYONE DONE BASIC TRAINING HERE ?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by louis10, Mar 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IF ANYONE HAS DONE BASIC TRAINING HERE CAN THEY GIVE ME A FEW TIPS AND TELL ME WHAT ITS LIKE, THANKS ALOT.

2. :)
    Ssshhh dont shout .

3. Did my basic there in '03, good camp, good facilities. Theyve even got a ski slope at the back, not that youll get to use it much ;) Best advice i can give you is to look, listen, learn and dont gob off. Put your best effort into everything and do exactly what your DS tell you and you cant go far wrong.

4. mouth shut.

ears open.

live the dream.

my mate is an instructor there. so let me know which sect you are off to & i'll make sure he "beasts" the be-jesus out of you.

5. Ski Slope!!!!

We built that............stay away from the yellow pub!

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It's a hard and brutal place. The dogs are beaten and starved so that they will attack at the slightest chance, the perimeter guards are recruited for their willingness to shoot without question and the cookhouse staff were recruited from under Charing Cross bridge.
    The training staff are terribly brutal, agressive and foul mouthed. Some of the male staff are even worse.
    The facilities are very, very basic. Something along the lines of Auschwitz, with a similar heating boiler, the food is poisonous and the permanent staff as helpful as cholera. Which, incidentally, is quite prevalent there.
    Freedom is curtailed and chaims are used to shackle you at night. Flogging is the preferred method of enforcing minor disciplinary matters with hanging for the more serious, ( undone buttons, ghastly boots etc)

We hope you enjoy your time here and welcome you.

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

For the classic view of Bassingbourn - watch 'Full Metal Jacket', as most of the training footage (the first - and best - half of the film) was filmed there.

As for your original, and sensible, question - sorry, I was there in '75, so the only thing that won't have changed since then (hopefully) is the fact it's flat as a pancake apart fromt he Ski Slope - which I visited regularly after cocking up at drill, weapon training, etc....

8. old_fat_and_hairy

Some of the Ds are still here from that film too.

There are a couple of man-made 'hills' now. Not much of ones, but enough to make it less flat.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

Some of the Ds are still here from that film too.

There are a couple of man-made 'hills' now. Not much of ones, but enough to make it less flat.