Basrah council

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by crabby, Dec 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, Basrah council; constantly withdrawing cooperation and pi$$ing people off. Latest raid deemed "illegal", despite support of PM. Basrah council may have had a bit of a vested interest in that police unit perhaps?
    Corrupt police, corrupt council; does Basrah stand a chance? Could they ever get a council that acts in the best interests of the people and a police force doing the same?

2. The guy speaking out is well known for being anti MNF. I'd expect nothing less from him. When the Governor and certain other parties start sulking - thats when we worry. What we're seeing is a fairly typical basrawi reaction to something that they wanted to do but lacked the ability to do. Don't forget these guys are in their first ever democractically elected Provincial Council, its not surprising that things are a bit off balance at times, thats because they're learning about democracy the hard way.

3. Crabby,
    I think as far as I know, which ain't much, that the P.M. might have considered the dissolution of the stations unit necessary but queries the means and the authority under which it was done.

It boils down to, who is running Basrah.
    The British or the Iraqis?
    Very difficult situation and my sympathies to the British forces involved.
    please post any useful links thanks.

4. Source?

5. P.M didn't query at all. Basra council did, and weren't happy; but the P.M gave authority; from everything I have read.

Iraqis running basra in loosest meaning of the word :p

Just think; if they were capable of running their city without torture, atrocities and corruption we would be there.

6. Plus, what gives you the right to put words in the mouth of the PM of Iraq, in direct contradiction of official Iraq Government spokesmen?

7. hackle,
    before I surmised what I tentatively believe to be the situation I wrote:
    "I think AS FAR AS I KNOW, WHICH AIN'T MUCH...."

Telling words I would have thought, I know its Xmas but try and read my posts properly mate.

Sorry I haven't found any useful links myself, am working on it.

8. You can say anything you like as long as you add the qualifier "as far as I know"?

Childish.

You've implied that a named British military spokesman and a spokesman for the elected Iraqi Government have both been telling outright lies, but that's OK apparently, as you've added "As far as I know".

9. The prisoners were handed over to the Americans for save keeping, until further notice.

In all fairness IMHO, its a classic case of damned if you do, and damned if you dont.

SK

10. Hackle you wrote:

You've implied that a named British military spokesman and a spokesman for the elected Iraqi Government have both been telling outright lies, but that's OK apparently, as you've added "As far as I know".[/quote]

The term " as far as I know" is a clear statement that my well of knowledge on this matter is not full.
    As for implying anybody is lying, I have done no such thing.