Basra Memorial Wall

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bad CO, Nov 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We've recently received two emails on the subject of the return to the UK of the Basra Memorial Wall. Not having served there, I don't really know the details but suspect that we all agree that memorials to the fallen should be preserved in the most appropriate place. I also reckon that Basra post any UK withdrawal is unlikely to meet that criteria!

2. The Wall contained all the troops to have fallen from all nationalities that served under MND(SE). It would be nice to see it at the national arboretum.

3. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a simple but very effective monument directly outside the front of the MND(SE) Div HQ. It's constructed out of bricks and has the names of each casualty from the Div on individual brass plates.

I would have thought it would be easy to return to the UK (although the families of the Danish, Aussie, Lithuanian, Romanian and Italian victims who I believe are also there may wish those individual plates to go to their own homeland.

Petition signed and good luck.

Regards,
    MM

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

If it's the one at the airport, then great, move it to the UK. If it's the one nearer Shaibah, dating from the 1920's, then leave it there.

For a start, the old one is bloody huge, and secondly it's under no discernable threat. I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but I presume it's still standing, where it was rebuilt by S Hussein some years ago, in a lonely location miles from anywhere.

5. The Wall will be coming home. Quote from PM's statement yesterday:

Mr Brown ended his statement honouring the sacrifices that have been made supporting and protecting that progress:

"Yesterday, I stood with the Chief of the Defence Staff, the Head of the Iraqi Army in Basra, and our forces outside our headquarters in Basra, in front of the memorial wall naming and commemorating every single one of the 178 British Service men and women who have lost their lives in Iraq in the service of our country.

"It was a fitting and moving tribute to men and women we must never forget. And because remembrance is vitally important, the Defence Secretary and I have decided that we shall bring that memorial wall now standing in Basra home to a fitting resting place of its own in our own country and we will do so when at the end of July the last of our combat troops leaves Basra."

6. If anyone has a more recent picture this one was taken in 2006.

Attached Files:

7. a very good serving friend of mine lost his life in basra, it would be very good to pay my respects to him and the countless other heroes that last there lives closer to home

8. Does anyone know what happened to the wall in Abu Naji outside the HQ. It had brass plaques with the names and a rough wooden cross that the RE made. I have some pics of it and havent heard what happened after we pulled out of Al Amaragh

9. i take it noone knows then, was it wrecked when the mahdi army moved into Abu Naji, i hope not

10. Here is the Memorial at Abu...I took this in Jan 2005

Attached Files:

11. What about the wooden cross in Brady Lines - anyone any idea what is happening to it?

12. Just got a reply from No10

13. An up to date image of the wall, the day before we took it down during OP TELIC 13 (Taken during the site recce)

Attached Files:

14. Unveiled today

15. On BBC1 now!