Basra Marshes

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Aug 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  2. I visited the marshes while on tour years ago. The place was a massive difference to the city and the people were much better to, some of the best people I met in Iraq lived in those marshes.

Hopefully they will be restored to their former size and glory at some point.
  3. Might take my family on holiday there.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Very interesting and very pleasing. I did some PRT type jobs in the 'marshes' on TELIC 12. The canals were beginning to refill but the locals were still just scratching a living with very thin crops and thinner livestock. They were fairly friendly (we came bearing gifts, obviously; mostly building materials) and seemed more of a community than the city dwellers. There's always an agenda with these sorties though. Ours was trying to persuade the locals that they should contact the Iraqi regional HQ if they spotted any smugglers crossing the Iranian border.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. Looks better in the pic than how I remember it

Attached Files:

6. "We can categorically state that we have not released man eating badgers into the area"

This remains my favourite quote from the conflict in Iraq

• Like Like x 4
  7. They were Penguins.
  8. Even if we had, it’s not like the place could have been any more fucked up, is it. I’m glad that flooding the bloody place has improved it. Another 200m of water over it should fix things.
  9. I recall sniggering when that announcement came out, as the PR spokesofficer was a former colleague noted for his sense of humour.
  10. 'It's a strange feeling going from an air conditioned office to a hot and sweaty Snatch' - Some infantry subby in the 'tell the Army your carefully vetted opinion' section at the back of Soldier Mag.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Allegedly this was fuelled by one of the RTR squadrons out there at the time being called "badger" that and few LEC's being wound up

Brilliant quote though!

12. Good article, I read The Marsh Arabs at camp condor a fews years back. Only difference was the .303 had been superceded by the AK rifle.
  13. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I've got a good photo i thin somewhere of a patrol in 2005 near BAS - on one side of the riased track is miles and miles of ******* desert. On the other, lush green vegetation!