Basra Airport - help

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by blueshoes, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. goin there very soon and wanted to know what its all gonna be like out there? how many cabs we got, accomodation PX? etc....

anyone just been or out?

2. prob better getting hold of the numbers of the guys out there and speaking direct

failing that pm on here

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

For someone claiming to be a 5-years served AAC LCpl, if you can't find this information out at your unit then you probably don't even deserve your tape. BAS (the COB now) didn't get set up last week you know.

Why isn't your unit dishing this info out?

Is this a wah?

4. u try gettin info out of an AAC unit

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Good point :D

6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

And another thing, the fish-head types just took over the Lynx det, so why would you be going?

7. log onto armynet

loads of deployment info, from Brize to bedspace and hints on kit to take, facilities and so on

8. seriously, theres (not enough to run two crews) goin an a stripy, whos not ere, the crews full of nigs and Ive not been to iraq before.
    I have heard Basra is very well equipped, but I have not aclue about accom. work pattern, or even role out there to be honest, I know when Im goin an when Im comin home, and thats basically it,

9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Accom is not too bad really, tents with (struggling) aircon and your own individual mozzie pods. A lot better that what a lot of people suffer on ops. PX non-existant, NAAFI shop reasonable but limited. Echos coffee-shop type place has PAYG wi-fi access, saves queuing for the Paradigm computers. And Pizza shed, of course.

Det has a good work setup, large hangars with plenty of aircon (door opened each end :D ). 4 Lynx, currently Mk 9's. Long days, plenty of night taskings. Reasonable amount of incoming, but station is massive so they tend not to hit much. Sometimes.

10. 1st cab last cab or a shift pattern?

11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Couldnt tell you! You'd have to ring the Det. Approach your Ops Officer

12. Dominoes pizza guy does deliverys too, you'll see him on his little scooter doing the rounds even when you've got mortars dropping in.

13. Was there this time last year.

Take wellies!

Edited to add: If you're working with a NAS, you'll probably be on a 'watch', ie shift pattern if you're an engineer, and some form of daily duty roster if you're aircrew.

Accomodation almost all corimec now and relatively good. Easier in winter without the heat, mud everywhere though.

14. Yeah - we were issued proboots a couple of winters ago. It lashed it down during the winter and the whole place flooded! 8O

15. I heard he had lost his head during a mortar attack and so Dominoes was no more because nobody would insure them!