• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

basic

I start phase one training at pirbright on the 7th of November, would I be able to take 2x everything as in the likes of shaving gel, razor, ect and keep them spare for inspection or is this the worst idea in the world??

Dunno about the Brits, but when I went though recruit training at CFB Cornwallis back in the mid 70's, the NCOs would go apeshit if they found extra kit hidden away. Twas good for at least 25 or so pushups and something nasty to polish that evening (if they were in a good mood).

I start phase one training at pirbright on the 7th of November, would I be able to take 2x everything as in the likes of shaving gel, razor, ect and keep them spare for inspection or is this the worst idea in the world??
If I was inspecting you I would throw them out of the window, followed by you.

But then, I've left. Take a chance son, go for it.

Don't get me wrong, I did basic nearly 17 years ago, but some NCO's wanted clean items in there, other wanted used, to show that you have been washing. I'd say if it can be washed - Shaving foam can, then take one. Razors, get good ones, better for your skina dn you can always a clean blade to stick on for inspections. We used to have that bowl, stick and brush crap in our lockers!

Z

Zarathustra

I'd not bother, if your DS let you then you'll all need the same stuff for uniformity anyway

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
we arent so **** regards that sort of thing so as long as the working kit is tidily packed away as RnR kit in your gozome bag you should be fine with it.

its a good idea to have two or three sets of kit anyway, saves on naafi prices

Make sure there are no 'suspicious hairs' in your soap dish or you will be down the guardroom for a remedial drill lesson and a good old fashion beasting.

Stick with the basics - you wont be the first to have thought about that..... and you wont be the last....don't try to beat the system - and don't try to be a gobby smart ****** either - blend in and be grey so that no ones remembers you - All the smart bastards will be getting extras whilst you quietly mooch on through it. Stick to the middle ground.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
do they still have to bull their mess tins and cutlery?

I used to find a lot of bullshit pathetic, it didnt teach you discipline just how to cheat. then again maybe thats why we make better soldiers?

The good old days...I remember getting to week 6 and everyone had the bed blocks (dont worry you have duvets now) and lockers all being identical...same coloured soap dish, same colour toothbrush, same kind of shaving gel ect.....everything a mirror image thinking we had beat the sysyem until our Cpl said to us all...ok now count the bristles on your toothbrushes.............the locker monster visited all again.

Sleeping under a counterpein wearing your Reggy tracksuit so you didnt have to undo your bedblock to make your bed, didnt really matter, you were still ironing at 2am and getting up at 5am.

Sleeping under a counterpein wearing your Reggy tracksuit so you didnt have to undo your bedblock to make your bed, didnt really matter, you were still ironing at 2am and getting up at 5am.
Thank Christ bedblocks had gone the way of the Dodo in the CF (other than in the Crowbar Hotel) when I joined. Hospital corners and taunt enough to bounce a 25 cent piece a foot high sufficed for us.

Stick with the basics - you wont be the first to have thought about that..... and you wont be the last....don't try to beat the system - and don't try to be a gobby smart ****** either - blend in and be grey so that no ones remembers you - All the smart bastards will be getting extras whilst you quietly mooch on through it. Stick to the middle ground.
your right mate should stick to the rules n all that shit, ad imagine al be the old man of the group so should lead by example, also the word beasted wtf are they going to try n kick **** outta me??

PS i'am takin some advice from a ex marine, he told me to take cat gut to tie my rifle to my button because they make u sleep on it (sleepin on a sa80 sounds painful like) and may try to sneek it away while your sleeping, is he taking the piss?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
in your doss bag with you is the best place, they dont like it left out where its grabable and they like to fcuk you over if they can get it off you.

as to comfort - you get used to it and its not like you'll get a full nights sleep anyway.

PS i'am takin some advice from a ex marine, he told me to take cat gut to tie my rifle to my button because they make u sleep on it (sleepin on a sa80 sounds painful like) and may try to sneek it away while your sleeping, is he taking the piss?
If cadets manage to sleep in doss bag with a rifle I'm sure you'll be fine. As said before you'll get used to it, should be too tired to worry too much about comfort. Good luck at basic and hope all goes well!

P

pp0470

Think the cat gut is a bit to extreme (maybe not for the marines tho), but do watchout for been 'hood winked' into leaving your rifle by been hurried to a task - it caught me out once.

Don't flap, don't fluster - your weapon always comes first. Best policy is never to put it down - keep it slung over your shoulder the whole time.

Latest Threads