Basic Training over Christmas

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by avatardrex, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got my start date for basic training, 11th november! Excited isnt the word.
    I was just wandering, what is the procedure over christmas? If I cant come home, I dont mind, just wanna know if I will be or not? cheers in advance
  2. You'll get 2-3 weeks xmas leave (the training staff etc don't particularly wish to not see family and friends over the festive period either).

My start date also fell mid-Nov & I got 18 days' leave.
  3. At that early stage in your training you will be going home for Xmas - it scarcely gives them 4 weeks to do anythnig with you. Strange date for an intake given the block leave though as you'll be on leave for almost as long as you've been in training. Not ideal!
  4. I started my basic training in the same month only many many years ago. Whilst training I broke my wrist and wore a rather large plaster splint. The bastards still made me do duty on XMas day. You will find that some of you will have to stay for duty over XMas and some will be lucky and get leave. What ever happens to you, look on it as an experience and really enjoy yourself during training.
  5. I'd be surprised if there's any dickings for duty over the period especially given the fact the recruits will be less than a month into training and the staff will still be treating them with 'kid gloves'. To the OP, no definitive answer however I would be MOST surprised if 3 / 4 week recruits got Xmas duties.
  6. What duties do recruits have? Usually they are too busy training to be sat around in the guardroom.
  7. Yes Bryan, thinking about it you are probably right about them not doing XMas duties. As you said earlier though, 11 Nov is a strange start date.
  8. Surely recruits who have only done 4 weeks won't have enough weapons training or completed an APWT by that stage?
    So guard duties are out. Duty runner? Spud peeler?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.