Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic training in 4 days

Fort99

Clanker
I’m going to pirbright for my phase 1 basic training and feeling anxious and a little nervous about the unknown as it means so much to me to succeed as it’s a big step in my life. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this?

Also as well as leaving my family my girlfriend is going to university 4 hours away from me, she’s insisted that she wants to stay with me and have a future but I’m not sure how this will work/ if it will at all? Anyone stayed with their partner while being in the army as I’ve only heard the doom and gloom from my Dad who served in the infantry for 20 years. Thank you

Enjoy it mate.

Don't try to worry about the big picture, and just concentrate on what you are being taught at that particular moment - it will all fall into place eventually.

Oh and use your ears much, much more than your mouth.

I’m going to pirbright for my phase 1 basic training and feeling anxious and a little nervous about the unknown as it means so much to me to succeed as it’s a big step in my life. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this?

Also as well as leaving my family my girlfriend is going to university 4 hours away from me, she’s insisted that she wants to stay with me and have a future but I’m not sure how this will work/ if it will at all? Anyone stayed with their partner while being in the army as I’ve only heard the doom and gloom from my Dad who served in the infantry for 20 years. Thank you

Without being the bearer of bad news, I suspect the chances of your relationship working out are slim - they're hard enough to work when you're living together. Whilst long distance is hard at the best times, I just don't see it working out when you're both about to undertake considerable life changing experiences that will significantly change who you both are as a person.

Also whilst thinking longer term, does your girlfriend have plans for a graduate career? It's going to be hard for her to have one if she's following you around as the wife of, when you can be literally posted anywhere without much notice. Perhaps fine is she's learning a profession such as teaching, a branch of medicine etc, but less fine is she wants to head to do a generic graduate scheme type job.

I don't mean to be blunt, but I'm just trying to highlight a few harsh truths.

As for the training part - enjoy it. The nerves are normal, and it would be worrying if you weren't a bit nervous! :)

Take the training one day at a time and don't over-think it. The advice about using your ears more than your mouth is very sound and can take you far. The instructors are there to try and get you through the training, not to fail you, so take it all on board with a sense of humour and just try your best.

As far as relationships go, that will only become clear in time, and you'll have to put your own career path first and foremost for a while. Once you're in and through Phase 1, you'll both have a better idea of what you both want in life. Good luck with it!

Get the first week under your belt, that should get any homesickness out of your system so bear with it!!!!! No really, bear with it!

With regards your nerves and anxiousness this just means your alive, enjoy it, all it is is excitement causing a rush of adrenaline but combined with the fear of the unknown you might see it as something negative, might be causing a bit of a twitchy bum but never worry, it’s actually 2 positives. The fear of the unknown, fear of failure will ensure you succeed so it’s also a good thing. Your not alone, every person who’s ever slept in those dorms have felt the same, just dive in at the deep end and make some mates, don’t be ringing your bird of a night time because that’s when you’ll get lonely and miss her and emperor Mong will be whispering in your ear to jib the army off. So you’ll have to be ruthless for that first week, don’t even contact your bird and keep busy.

Put yourself first, stick with the relationship but don’t change career for it because if the relationship failed in the future you’d kick yourself for the rest of your life, whereas you can always get another bird especially with all these apps like tinder, Pof and that now.

Also don’t go proposing before you go, that’ll skew your thinking.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's true or not but I was once told that at the beginning of the course at RMA Sandhurst 80% have girlfriend/boyfriend and 20% smoke.

By the end of the course 80% smoke but only 20% have the original or any girlfriend/boyfriends

Training is not what you experience in a unit, take each day as it comes, try your best, enjoy it as it is a brilliant time when you look back on it. If you have issues talk to PS don't dwell on it and try and sort it yourself.

Enjoy Basic, you will remember it forever. In two weeks I’ll be meeting up with half a dozen people from my own Basic squad. That’s 32 years after it happened. It has that much effect on you and is the gateway to a great career. Best of luck

My Dad met my Mum 1 year before doing 2 years National Service.
They are still together after 65 years & been married 61 years.

If she is worth it she will still be you're GF, but she might meet someone else.
As Uni does change people if that's the case she is not worth it!

Eyes and ears open , mouth shut , dont get blind drunk unless you have the next day off.

A life time of memories start on day one of basic. Also the best bit of advice I had was starting planing what you will do when you leave, one day you will.

As already said, use your eye's [and ear's] more than your mouth you are there to learn the basic skill's required of a soldier. My dad had been in too for the full whack, but I can tell you that living around married quarters with a soldier as a dad is no big deal as far as basic is concerned. It may help you with understanding a couple of things, but there is so much to learn you need to be concentrating and giving 110% all the time.

Never complain.
Never lose your sense of humour.*
Listen.
Pay Attention.
Volunteer.
The only stupid question is the one you do not ask.
If you are given a time to be somewhere always arrive 10 minutes early.
When you have arrived early do not slouch around, stand up straight and look like a soldier.

Note: * In my room during basic training we had an old tobacco tin that we labelled up 'Sense of Humour Tin'. Whenever one of us looked like we were losing it one of the others would hand him the tin and that immediately made it funny and spirits were lifted. Funny story, a dit: One day we were having a real b'stard of a room inspection, stuff flying out of the window, bed boxes ripped apart. The Cpl got in Grahams face - now Graham was about 5' 8", not so much overweight as puppy fat, and that morning he had just been presented with the tin. The Cpl, a South African about 6'3", has bent down to put his nose 3 inches from Grahams nose and screams, "Have you lost your sense of humour"?

Graham say's back, "No Cpl, it's in the tin".

Cpl, looks puzzled, "tin, what do mean fcuking tin"?

Graham, does a check pace, dig's in his pocket and presents him the tin, "this tin Cpl".

The Cpl looks at it, looks at Graham, looks around the room, "Clever fcukers, eh." Gives Graham back the tin, looks at all of us again, walks out and says, "ok, go on, clean up your room"

Out of the Platoons 6 rooms our 8 man room got the awards for: Best Recruit, Best Drill, Best PT.

Last edited:
Bite size chunks. Don't aim too far ahead. Give 100% in everything you do, even when no one is looking. There will be times when you feel like you've hit rock bottom emotionally and physically. Depending on how you respond, these will be the times that will define you and your future...and not just your soldiering future.
And as above, eyes and ears open and mouth shut.
The very best of luck to you.

If you old man was in the infantry for 20 years , try having a father-son chat with him about your first few days in ?
But remember this , all the other lads in your platoon feel exactly the same way , so learn to support one another .
As other posters have said , you'll make mates for life in the next few weeks

OP, the thing about serving in the Forces is that you will make a few literally life long friends. I never served in the Regs, but even to this day, some of my closest friends are the blokes from my old TA unit.
My dad joined the mob back in the early 60s, and even to this day, he keeps in regular contact with a few of them.
I doubt whether he is alone in this either.
Best of luck to you.

Don't forget that when you pass out of the depot it will be the proudest day of your life.

The Paras will always be far far better than you though.

Brother in law quit basic half way through Pirbright because of a girl. The relationship lasted 3 weeks after he left, he regrets leaving to this day.

Girls come and go, don't bugger up a good career just because of a woman.

Take a spare w.a.n.k sock, by the time you've been posted to your first unit - your current G/F will be history and you'll be needing that sock you packed with you.

On the bright side, you'll probably get posted to a garrison town, where all the fat ugly munters visit the local pub nightclub and think they are 500% better looking than they actually are - due to the fact that squaddies will bang anything that moves. You'll most likely have an average looking plain Jane girlfriend (from back home) in 5 years time, that has slight mental issues, then decide to leave the Army because you're bored out of your tits, and some lawyer wants to sue you because you upset a civvie while carrying out your job. You current G/F will be married to someone new, have a good job and will have started a family. Welcome to real life buddy!

Latest Threads