Basic training, a while ago..........

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by polar69, Apr 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just reading the "What to bring on basic training" thread in the recruitment forum and it struck me that when I joined in 88 things were a bit different.

The only out of the ordinary item I can rememeber packing was bungees, apart from that it was wash kit, coat hangers, dusters and boot polish.

I also dont remember doing a whole lot of physical prep either, now this could either be because I was joining the paramilitary wing of the Salvation Army, or the RAF as we called it, or because people get a lot more info these days.

Everything I took went in one suitcase, nowadays, well I think I would need a chap to carry all the clobber for me.
  2. Bungees weren't invented when I went to basic.......I can't remember (for various reasons) getting anything out of the ordinary.
  3. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

You joined the RAF, you did have a chap to carry it all for you. ;-)

1985 - Bungees, Coat hangers, Boot Kit, Dusters, Suit Jacket and shoes, Name tags to sew inside everything, 2 Padlocks (which I still Have), Letter writing set, Iron
  4. Ah yes, name tags, that was the other thing, or a "laundry marker"
  5. small philapeno so as to fit in suitcase, all washing ironing done for you, couple of bungees incase she tries to escape
  6. Got a rail warrant from Hull to Darlington, and a note that said 'bring toothbrush and change of underwear'.
  7. You must be well old if you were in training before rubber was invented. ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. My first thoughts....WTF is a housewife?

******* bungees!! they were for when you'd actually passed out
  9. Winter of 80fucking3.

Boot polish, iron, small daysack, 2nr padlocks, the civvies I wearing at the time & sweet **** all else. Apart from the fear of the unknown.
  10. I seem to remember taking my last UB40 as well.
  11. 1972
    I received a kit list which told me to take washing & shaving kit plus civvies and some spending money (think it was £10, to last me until first pay parade) together with a rail warrant to Sutton Coldfield.
    Of the other stuff I needed, boot brushes, boot polish, starch, blanco, brasso and a sink plug came from the NAAFI and I got a clothes iron from the local Woolies. (It was a good iron, too. I paid about £3 for it and it lasted until the beginning of this year.)
  12. Early '60s. I was given 6/8d (.33p) ration money and a rail warrant. I was told to take nothing with me as everything would be was, though the cost of everything was deducted from our first pay! The civilian clothes I travelled in were parcelled up and sent home. Wasn't allowed out until I 'passed off the square' end of week 9 when we were allowed to 'walk out' in uniform (complete with white buff belt and best boots!) each saturday after midday. Didn't see my civilian clothes until I went on leave after 'passing out' somewhere around week 20!
  13. You were lucky no one gave me any money
  14. Nor I, although I did have my step-father cheering as the train departed Paragon Station. Git.
  15. Shirt Jacket and shoes. Rest you can buy in the naafi.