Basic training, a while ago..........

I was just reading the "What to bring on basic training" thread in the recruitment forum and it struck me that when I joined in 88 things were a bit different.

The only out of the ordinary item I can rememeber packing was bungees, apart from that it was wash kit, coat hangers, dusters and boot polish.

I also dont remember doing a whole lot of physical prep either, now this could either be because I was joining the paramilitary wing of the Salvation Army, or the RAF as we called it, or because people get a lot more info these days.

Everything I took went in one suitcase, nowadays, well I think I would need a chap to carry all the clobber for me.

Bungees weren't invented when I went to basic.......I can't remember (for various reasons) getting anything out of the ordinary.

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You joined the RAF, you did have a chap to carry it all for you. ;-)

1985 - Bungees, Coat hangers, Boot Kit, Dusters, Suit Jacket and shoes, Name tags to sew inside everything, 2 Padlocks (which I still Have), Letter writing set, Iron

C

cloudbuster

Got a rail warrant from Hull to Darlington, and a note that said 'bring toothbrush and change of underwear'.

My first thoughts....WTF is a housewife?

******* bungees!! they were for when you'd actually passed out

Winter of 80fucking3.

Boot polish, iron, small daysack, 2nr padlocks, the civvies I wearing at the time & sweet **** all else. Apart from the fear of the unknown.

I received a kit list which told me to take washing & shaving kit plus civvies and some spending money (think it was £10, to last me until first pay parade) together with a rail warrant to Sutton Coldfield.
Of the other stuff I needed, boot brushes, boot polish, starch, blanco, brasso and a sink plug came from the NAAFI and I got a clothes iron from the local Woolies. (It was a good iron, too. I paid about £3 for it and it lasted until the beginning of this year.)

Early '60s. I was given 6/8d (.33p) ration money and a rail warrant. I was told to take nothing with me as everything would be provided...it was, though the cost of everything was deducted from our first pay! The civilian clothes I travelled in were parcelled up and sent home. Wasn't allowed out until I 'passed off the square' end of week 9 when we were allowed to 'walk out' in uniform (complete with white buff belt and best boots!) each saturday after midday. Didn't see my civilian clothes until I went on leave after 'passing out' somewhere around week 20!

Early '60s. I was given 6/8d (.33p) ration money and a rail warrant. I was told to take nothing with me as everything would be provided...it was, though the cost of everything was deducted from our first pay! The civilian clothes I travelled in were parcelled up and sent home. Wasn't allowed out until I 'passed off the square' end of week 9 when we were allowed to 'walk out' in uniform (complete with white buff belt and best boots!) each saturday after midday. Didn't see my civilian clothes until I went on leave after 'passing out' somewhere around week 20!
You were lucky no one gave me any money

Shirt Jacket and shoes. Rest you can buy in the naafi.

Turned up at Ash Vale in the 60's with the clothes I was stood up in and a head of hair, the clothes got sent home and some bugger nicked most of my hair. No such thing as bungees, my mother sent me a couple of yards of elastic, swapped lengths of it for smokes. She also KNITTED me scarf in regimental colours - whould have looked like Pvt Pike if I had worn it.
Boot brushes were issued then and we had an iron between six of us. Had to buy polish, Blanco, Brasso and dusters, also the room all had to chip in for floor polish..

Turned up at Cove in the 60's in civies after getting 3 days pay and a travel warrant from the recruiting office, luckily I had my holiday pay from my previous employment (3 weeks at £6/10 was a nice £19/10) and that kept me going until we got paid on the wednesday I think. We had to buy personal cleaning materials but the Floor polish was given in bloody big 5lb tins that if warmed up on the coal burning stove - turned liquid - and made the "bumper" work a lot easier. Still rememeber my first pay parade - had been in training 3 days - had to march up - halt - collect aforementioned pay - shout "pay and paybook correct sir" - salute and march off. It was total bedlam with a succession of ministry of funny walks marching, a plethony of cow kicks, and a mixture of salutes with left and right hands, - ahh the good old days.

Turned up at Cove in the 60's in civies after getting 3 days pay and a travel warrant from the recruiting office, luckily I had my holiday pay from my previous employment (3 weeks at £6/10 was a nice £19/10) and that kept me going until we got paid on the wednesday I think. We had to buy personal cleaning materials but the Floor polish was given in bloody big 5lb tins that if warmed up on the coal burning stove - turned liquid - and made the "bumper" work a lot easier. Still rememeber my first pay parade - had been in training 3 days - had to march up - halt - collect aforementioned pay - shout "pay and paybook correct sir" - salute and march off. It was total bedlam with a succession of ministry of funny walks marching, a plethony of cow kicks, and a mixture of salutes with left and right hands, - ahh the good old days.
Ah yes, I remember it well. My old Troop Sergeant in basic used to set up the pay desk right next to a wall. After we passed out he told us that they used to have bets over how many blokes would twat their saluting arms against the wall.

As for kit - I joined in 95, and was given a basic list (boot polish, padlocks, housewife, the usual) and remember it fit very easily into a small suitcase. Civvies stayed there until after I passed out.

I didn't buy my own decent brand boots, webbing pouches, etc because I didn't have a clue they existed. We were less well informed then, what with the lack of internet and all that.

I can't remember being told to bring anything. Everything was either provided or the cheap as chips NAFFI would flog it to you

My first pay parade, desk in the corridor with one stack of fivers and one stack of tenners. March up, halt, salute, Number, Rank, Name. Tp OC would take one off the top of each hand it to you, Pay correct Sir, Salute, about turn, march off. When i did it however, I brought my knee up smart as you like and kneed the ******* desk, both piles of notes went everywhere. OC and Tp Sgt screamed the bum fluff off my face, and to the back of the ******* enormous queue for me. Twats. Hour and a half I stood in that bastard, only to have most of my money fleeced by the toerag senior apprentice. 5 quid for a poxy tin of polish and a yellow duster "The NAAFI didn't have any change!" Robbing ****

Latest Threads