Basic Signalling Skills/Trade Training

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by JT0475, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't want this to sound like another 'wasn't like this in my day' rant, but as I have been interviewing a few lads recently for a position in my team, a couple of questions have been raised about what is being taught as part of basic trade training/possibly even Basic Signalling Skills.
    Both of us conducting the interviews realise we've been out for a while now, but we've both raised eyebrows at ex Operators (who've all joined and left since 2002), not knowing the difference between AM and FM modulation - is RF theory/propagation not taught any more?
    Also, what's the current standard for passing keyboard skills these days? Used to be 55wpm IIRC for C3 RTG/TeleOp(TG) and DTG (must include the handbags I suppose!). One lad was quite proud of 28wpm keyboard skills - is this whats required now - thought it would have been higher, as I suppose most kit now is IS based (sorry, we know nowt about Bowman, other than when we left it was already much delayed!)
    Standing by for flak/abuse......
    :)

2. 55 wpm - r u sure about that. I remember it being 36 wpm in 1991.

3. Memory may be fading - maybe I am thinking about Class 1 requirements(I know I'm still up at around 55 - 60wpm these days). Could have been something to do with using a T100 (oh happy days!), and then getting up to using a water cooled keyboard when doing 602 Sig Tp assessment way back when.

4. Cow

Cow LE

BSS in 1998 was:
    Basic VP
    Wire a plug
    Put a tent up and cam a Rover
    and a few other things.

Trade training typing was 25wpm for all operators not including Rad Ops.

5. What year did u serve with 602 JT?

6. Definitely 36wpm in basic in '81. I think it was 42wpm for class 1 in '86. (T100 in basic, Trend on class 1).
    (thanks for including us handbags in your orignal post - very considerate of you!) :)

7. Didn't serve in the troop - did the assessment in 1985 and decided it wasn't for me, but my Morse and Keyboard skills were pretty awesome when I went back to my unit - believe it or not I decided cabbying around Germany in a 43 was much more my scene (plus there was a bird involved in my thought processes, who wasn't on the scene when I originally applied!). My YofS was not impressed when I returned after the 4 weeks (I think that's how long the assessment course was - please correct me if wrong), but my troop staffy was well chuffed - words were 'glad to see you back T***y, you're a good soldier' - meant a hell of a lot, then he packed me off to South Georgia 4 months later to do a shed load of HF work!

8. Fair do's all!!! :!: :p :!:

9. Its now 55WPM for staff officers for sending emails and posting threads on ARRSE.

10. I thought it was 55MB for staff officers emailing powerpoint presentations and vid clips.. The same ones.

11. Fcuk me, 12 wpm? I still can't do that :wink:

12. You tried taking your gloves off HTB? :lol:

13. God, tying knots in D10 was smegging impossible - except for the smug TeleMech instructing of course, who made it look so easy.
    What about switchboard procedure - trying to connect you and all that on a 40/160 manual exchange.... :twisted:

14. I can't, there still attached to my jacket...............