• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Basic military salary to go up 3%, lowest ranks get 3.3%

Still the same old s*** for all you forces chaps. P*ss poor salaries will always be with you government slaves. PVR and earn a real wage.
Thanks I have a real job already with a real wage with real mates with real job satisfaction now why don't you fcuk off you annoying little troll and large it elsewhere.

Now how soon before food and accommodation rise by enough to eat 100% of the pay rise?

And how much did the scum... errr respectable Members of Parliament demand?

22%. Sweet.

Do as I say not do as I do.

Dread

PS I acknowledge that though they have requested 22% over 2 years, this has yet to be agreed (probably 8% per annum salary with an increase in non-taxable allowances)

To Ducati916 - I suppose this is your dream bike which you would never be able to afford on your minimum wage. Real job - maybe!, real wage - no chance.

Remeber that this is Current Affairs, not the Naafi. Don't trash the thread with your little man syndrome.

Back to the thread:

I wonder how much resource is used in determining 3%. Hasn't that been the magical figure for the last few years?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Most of the rise will go on the new quarter charges, which are to rise quite steeply I understand.

Edited, 'cos I was ranting at CDT_Dodger, then realised that this wasn't the NAAFI Bar!!

Secretary of State for Defence, John Reid said:

"It has been another challenging year for all our Armed Forces and I have been impressed with their commitment, dedication to duty and achievements. This pay increase is thoroughly deserved and recognises their valuable work; whether on peace support operations in Southern Iraq or on humanitarian missions in the mountains of Northern Pakistan."
so they are rewarded with a measily 3%?? that will encourage them to stay in

General Sir Michael Walker, Chief of Defence staff said:

"It is a credit to the professionalism of our Armed Forces that they continue to meet, and exceed, the challenging demands placed upon them. Their dedication, determination and courage in the face of uncertainty, separation from family and extreme danger are ever being tested. Ensuring their value is recognised and rewarded is critical to our ability to be ready to fight and win. Our nation values the commitment of those serving in our Armed Forces. This pay increase recognises the high regard in which our people are held. It is a good result for them.
so why the national minimum if they are so valued?

someone remind me what did our MP's vote themselves for their last payrise? sure they must be value for money :roll:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Paymaster said:
MQs charges rise from 2% to 13.3%
and single accn 5% to 14.5%
How the hell can they justify that rise? It's not like the service we are getting is improving. It's not, it's getting worse! I can see some people will actually take a pay CUT with those figures (but then, I'm no mathmatician)

Its always the same, 3% in one hand, 3% taken from the other. Having done a quick calulation, I basically end up no worse off.

ps CDT knob, my bike is not a dream, nor is it my dream bike.

Dread said:
22% over 2 years has been requested if you read my post (before I attacked CDT_Mong)
Well, it's above the 1.9% inflation rate, but when I saw the title of the thread I was going to suggest that 3% for the forces would probably mean 10% for the Westminster slime. To find my cynicism so quickly proved correct is no comfort.

The BBC claim that the civil servants are to get less:

"Other public sector employees are expected to receive smaller wage rises when their pay deals are announced."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4719968.stm

How much less? Apart from Plod (4 coppers killed in recent years, out of a couple of hundred thousand of them) who else has been in harms way anywhere near to the Forces? I bet most puclic sector will get between 2.5 and 4% (especially if they threaten to strike near the May local elections in London).

Cynic? Moi?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
OK, so what pay rise would you like the Forces to get (Sensible question - please supply sensible answers!) I would have thought 7-10% would show the appreciation, and help in the recruiting problems.

The Accom rises have come from the new Single Living Accommodation improvements and the drive to put the charges on a par with civilian accommodation - despite these improvements in SLA not being Service-wide. However, if they were given the choice most people will then just move out (if allowed!).

It's not a good rise unless you live in your own accommodation - and the potential rise in LSAP got slapped down so it remains at a fairly pointless £8.5K. The Armed Forces are now in the poor situation of being in the same pay bracket as Nurses, Teachers, etc, who are allowed to get (realistic) assistance for housing purchase, but at the moment we are not allowed to use the service.

Would a Federation, realistically, have been able to modify any part of this pay award?

Latest Threads